[comp.laser-printers] Sixel graphics problem on a DEC LN03

IVAN@YUBGEF51.BITNET ("Ivan Lu~ev, programer, RC ETF Bgd") (07/12/90)

Hello,

John Kelso writes:
> The problem that I'm having is that I keep getting the "Band too complex" erro
> when printing large images.  Small images print just fine.
> The large image in question is about 170kbytes in size.  Our printer has two
> RAM cartridges, each holding 128kbytes.  It therefore appears that our printer
> has enough memory to contain the image.

As far as I know, RAM cartridges in the LN03 are used only for
storing downloaded fonts (which, by the way, are in completely
unknown format and therefore quite useless). The printer has some
additional memory for bitmap images and other page elements but that
memory is sufficient only for smaller images.

Printer LN03 PLUS (or LN03 with the PLUS upgrade) has 1 MB bitmap
memory which is just about enough to hold 8 million dots that make
full page.

So, if your printer is ordinary LN03, it simply can not print large
graphics and you should upgrade it to PLUS. I think it can also be
upgraded to LN03R which is much better because, besides additional
memory, it incorporates Postscript. If you have PLUS or R model,
probably something is wrong with your printer.

I hope this will help, and wish you good luck. From my experience
with the LN03, I think you'll need it...

Ivan

|   --v--   '  University of Belgrade           I v a n   L u c e v
|   .-|-.                                       Programmer
|  /  |  \  |      DEPARTMENT OF
|-(---+---)-|  ELECTRICAL ENGINEERING