[comp.laser-printers] Problems with HP Laser Jet II

adasoft@grebyn.com (AdaSoft) (06/28/90)

I am trying to find out if anyone have problems with
HP Laser Jet Series II. In last three months we blow out
our parallel board 7 times. We have three PC computers
(two 386(25&33Mhz) and one 286(6Mhz) that are manually
switched on the parallel board and Macintosh IIci hooked
up on the serial port (not at the same time!)
According to their manuals and service we are not doing anything
wrong but they are not willing to test their or our equipment.

I am just wondering if somebody else has same problems and
maybe clue what is going on.

Thank you for any help.

PS.
(Our warranty for HP will expire in a couple of weeks)

mussar@bcars53.UUCP (G. Mussar) (07/13/90)

In article <9007120321.AA28490@crayola.cs.UMD.EDU> adasoft@grebyn.com (AdaSoft) writes:
>HP Laser Jet Series II. In last three months we blow out
>our parallel board 7 times. We have three PC computers
>(two 386(25&33Mhz) and one 286(6Mhz) that are manually
>switched on the parallel board and Macintosh IIci hooked
>up on the serial port (not at the same time!)

I thought I had heard that use of a mechanical switch on HP parallel ports
voids the warranty because of transients and/or static problems. You are
supposed to use an electronic switching mechanism.

Gary Mussar  |Bitnet:  mussar@bnr.ca                  |  Phone: (613) 763-4937
BNR Ltd.     |  UUCP:  ..uunet!bnrgate!bcars53!mussar |  FAX:   (613) 763-2626

jrc@hpdmd48boi.hp.com (Jim Conrad) (07/14/90)

Although you may wish to call the LaserJet Assist Line at (208) 323-2551, I
suspect you will find your situation unique and related to how you switch
the cables back-and-forth.

JimC
jrc@hpbsrl

price@CHAKRA.UNL.EDU (Chad Price) (07/21/90)

In <9007120321.AA28490@crayola.cs.UMD.EDU> adasoft@grebyn.com (AdaSoft) writes:

>I am trying to find out if anyone have problems with
>HP Laser Jet Series II. In last three months we blow out
>our parallel board 7 times. We have three PC computers
>(two 386(25&33Mhz) and one 286(6Mhz) that are manually
>switched on the parallel board and Macintosh IIci hooked
>up on the serial port (not at the same time!)
>According to their manuals and service we are not doing anything
>wrong but they are not willing to test their or our equipment.

>I am just wondering if somebody else has same problems and
>maybe clue what is going on.

>Thank you for any help.

>PS.
>(Our warranty for HP will expire in a couple of weeks)

I have a similar story with a IIP. I have fried 3 parallel ports on 2
computers so far: 2 on a Zenith 386-16 and 1 on a PS/2 model 50. When
contacted HP insisted that it was the fault of the cheap cable I had, so I
bought a $40 cable from HP. I now have another fried port (the 3rd parallel
port).

Telephone me @(402) 489-3084 evenings (Central Time Zone) after 9pm if you
want to discuss this further.

I would also like to hear from other people on the net to see if there have
been similar problems with other lj IIP owners.

If someone of the HP engineer crowd is following this news group - How about
so feedback?

Chad Price
price@fergvax.unl.edu