[comp.laser-printers] Apples new personal printers - two bins??

derosa@motcid.UUCP (John DeRosa) (07/21/90)

The new line of laser printers from apple have two
paper trays.  Does anyone know how a user will switch
between the two?  Do you have to travel to the printer
or is there a new driver that allows switching?

PAVER@MAXIMILLION.CP.MCC.COM (Bob Paver) (07/23/90)

> From: motcid!derosa@uunet.UU.NET (John DeRosa)
> Subject: Apples new personal printers - two bins??
> Date: 20 Jul 90 18:07:57 GMT
>        Arlington Heights, IL
>

> The new line of laser printers from apple have two
> paper trays.  Does anyone know how a user will switch
> between the two?  Do you have to travel to the printer
> or is there a new driver that allows switching?

When printing from a Mac, you select manual feed in the
print dialog box.  I'm hoping that there is another
way to select the tray, perhaps with the 'setpapertray'
command because we'd like to switch trays in the middle
of a job, e.g. print page one on letterhead and then
switch trays to print the subsequent pages on plain paper.

Bob Paver  ---->  paver@mcc.com  OR  cs.utexas.edu!milano!paver

Microelectronics and Computer Technology Corp (MCC)
3500 West Balcones Center Drive
Austin, Texas 78759                  (512) 338-3316
-------

fore@csun2.Berkeley.EDU (TROY HOWARD FORE) (07/25/90)

The new line of laser printers from apple have two
paper trays.  Does anyone know how a user will switch
between the two?  Do you have to travel to the printer
or is there a new driver that allows switching?

        There is only one tray as such. The second "tray" is actually just a
        ledge that folds down from the front of the printer. It's right below
        the folding output tray for printing face up. I think one of the selling
        points is that you can use the second tray, "the specialty tray", for
        letterhead and the other, usual tray, for the regular paper for the
        rest of the letter. Unfortunately, I don't know of any Mac software
        other than Ragtime that can utilize this. Any others?

Howard Fore, Consultant, Univ. of Georgia Main Library Mac Lab, Athens, Georgia
Apple Student Rep (AppleLink:ST0233) InterNet:fore@csun2.cs.uga.edu