[comp.laser-printers] HP LJII Error 51

sher@BBN.COM ("Lawrence D. Sher") (07/31/90)

My HP LaserJet Series II just went belly up with "51 Error", which the LaserJet
Handbook says is related to a mirror alignment (or mirror obscured) problem.
Have others experienced this error?  Was it an expensive fix?  Is there a known
cause?  A known precaution?
             .----------------------------------------------------------------
            /Internet email: sher@bbn.com
Larry Sher <        US Mail: BBN, MS 6/5A, 10 Moulton St., Cambridge, MA 02138
            \     Telephone: (617) 873 3426    FAX: (617) 873 3776
	     `----------------------------------------------------------------

ries@VENICE.SEDD.TRW.COM (Marc Ries) (08/07/90)

In article <9008061928.AA10175@crayola.cs.UMD.EDU> sher@BBN.COM ("Lawrence D. Sher") writes:

>My HP LaserJet Series II just went belly up with "51 Error", which the LaserJet
>Handbook says is related to a mirror alignment (or mirror obscured) problem.
>Have others experienced this error?  Was it an expensive fix?  Is there a known
>cause?  A known precaution?

 While I can not say that your situation is the same as mine, my HPII
 "died" with a "51 error" after I had installed a new lower cassette
 tray.  The only unusual thing I did (but required to do as per the
 manual) is set the printer on end to access the bottom of the IIP.

 I took it to HP, and they were never able to duplicate the problem.
 It's worked fine since then.  Supposidly, the only thing the tech did
 was to "re-seat" the boards.

 So, either it (only) needs it's boards reset or your in big trouble 8-)
 You might try driving it around in a car for a half hour or so.... 1/2-)