[comp.laser-printers] Continuous-form laser printers

wmartin@STL-06SIMA.ARMY.MIL (Will Martin) (07/28/90)

Anyone out there use continuous-form laser printers? I saw some references
to such machines in a trade publication on bar codes and scanning, where
they were discussing new products at a trade show, but I couldn't
determine for sure if those products were suitable for printing ordinary
text or were specialized bar-code-label printers. I circled numbers on
the magazine bingo card for the firms cited, but of course have no idea
when I'll get literature.

I recall seeing a demo of a big HP continuous-form laser printer some
years back, but I am more interested in a desktop-sized unit that would
take ordinary pinfeed paper. Anybody use such a device, and/or have any
comments/recommendations/advice/war stories to relate?

Regards, Will
wmartin@st-louis-emh2.army.mil OR wmartin@stl-06sima.army.mil

wmartin@STL-06SIMA.ARMY.MIL (Will Martin) (08/14/90)

I've been trying to send the following info to a person in France who saw
my original note on this subject on Laser-Lovers and sent me mail asking
for info on the products I mentioned. Unfortunately, all the
FR-domain hosts that are in the NIC host tables that I've tried routing
mail to him through just never seem to respond. The mail just sits in
my outgoing queue until it times out. So I'm sending a copy of this
latest try to the list; with luck, he'll see it there if the direct mail
never gets to him otherwise. Other people on the list might get some
good out of the info here, too.

----- Forwarded message # 1:

Date:     Mon, 13 Aug 90 13:23:48 CDT
From:     Will Martin  <wmartin@stl-06sima.army.mil>
To:       edgard%cao.gipsi.fr@la-javanaise.gipsi.fr
Subject:  Re: Continuous-form laser printers

It sure seems like the gods don't want this mail to go through. I tried
routing it to you via "gipsi.gipsi.fr" and "fan.gipsi.fr"; both of those
just sat in my outgoing mail queues until they timed out. I'm now trying
this LA-JAVANAISE route. If *this* doesn't work, I will try every host in
the "FR" domain until *something* works!

I append at the end of the forwarded basic message some more info from yet
another vendor whose ad I received today.

Will Martin

----- Forwarded message # 1:

Date:     Thu, 9 Aug 90 10:02:50 CDT
From:     Will Martin  <wmartin@stl-06sima.army.mil>
To:       edgard%cao.gipsi.fr@fan.gipsi.fr

I note my previous response to your query was still sitting in my
system's outut queue, so I enclose it below and append later information
afterwards; for this note I'm trying a different fr-domain route:

Date:     Wed, 8 Aug 90 7:54:08 CDT
From:     Will Martin  <wmartin@stl-06sima.army.mil>
To:       edgard%cao.gipsi.fr@gipsi.gipsi.fr

Hi!
The publication I saw the references in was Automatic ID News. I don't have
a copy any longer, but here's some info on it:

This is a tabloid-size monthly on the bar-code industry, distributed free
to qualified readers. I received a few issues but decided that I wasn't
involved enough with the subject to request a renewal.

You can write them at:

Automatic ID News
PO Box 6158
Duluth, MN  55806-9858
USA

(Unfortunately, I expect that overseas subscriptions would not be free,
but would cost a vast amount for postage. Also, you couldn't use the
"Business-Reply Mail" free information-request postcards.)

When and if I get any information on the printers I saw mentioned, I'll
let you know.

Regards, Will Martin
wmartin@st-louis-emh2.army.mil OR wmartin@stl-06sima.army.mil

*************

Addendum 9 August 90:

Received an ad in today's mail from one of the firms making laser "line
printers" which it advertises as suitable for bar codes and labels,
showing examples of each:

Output Technology Corporation
E. 9922 Montgomery Drive, Suite #6
Spokane, WA  99206-4199

(509) 926-3855  (800) 468-8788

FAX: (509) 922-4742

TELEX: #15-2269 OUTPUTSPOK

They also list a "Regional Sales Manager": Ken Knable, 3845 Jettie Court,
    Lilburn, CA  30247  (404) 381-1899

The product is the "LaserMatrix 1000", "the world's first
continuous-form desktop laser line printer." It comes in two models: the
Model 1 has 2 H-P Plus compatible card slots for access to the HP font
library, and has standard fonts by Bitstream, emulating a H-P Laserjet
Series II or an IBM Proprinter II; the Model 2 has standard
fonts supplied by Compugraphic and no such card slots, emulating a
Digital LN03 Plus or IBM ProprinterII.

The blurb about the barcode capability reads as follows: "When used with
barcoding and label generation software, the printer can produce high
resolution industry barcode symbologies, including interleaved 3 of 9
and 2 of 5, UPC, and EAN 8 and 13, among others. In addition, stored
forms are supported in custom as well as AIAG/HIBC formats." (Whatever
all that means... :-)

Paper capacity is tractor (pinfeed) fed, width 3.5" - 8.5" 9" max pin to
pin; 11" length forms. Print speed 16 pages per minute, 1000 lpm, 176 ipm.
120 V, 60 Hz power is the only type mentioned; no price was given.

Hope this is of help. As I get other info, I'll send it. (Hope the mail
between us opens up and you get this!)

Regards, Will Martin

----- End of forwarded messages

More info on another vendor:

Analog Technology Corporation
1859 Business Center Drive
Duarte, CA  91010

(818) 357-0098   FAX: (818) 303-4993  Telex: 3718950

The ATC 8530 Continuous Feed, Desk-Top Laser, Bar Code Label Printer

"...specifically designed for text printing of continuous, pin feed,
fanfold forms ... [and]... limited duty cycle production of variable
ddata bar code labels. It uses diode laser - spinning mirror imaging
technology. ... contains an ATC Magic Mode industrial graphic controller
and is fully compatible with user application software written for the
Printronix line printers equipped with QMS Code V Magnum controllers. It
is nominally compatible with software written for the Printronix IGP 11
and 21 controllers.

Label Width 75mm to 240mm
Print Width 0 to 203mm
Print Length 320mm
Duty cycle: 10,000 pages per month average
Engine life: 600,000 pages to refurbishment
OPC Cartridge Life: 20,000 pages
Power: 120 VAC, 50-60 Hz, 900W

Regards, Will Martin

----- End of forwarded messages