[comp.laser-printers] Postscript cartridges for HP LaserJet printers?

hadgraft@civeng.monash.edu.au (Roger Hadgraft) (08/06/90)

Has anyone had any experience with postscript cartridges for HP LaserJet
printers? I am specifically interested in the Series II. There is a PacificPage
cartridge that retails for US$500, but it's an emulation and I want to make sure
it works. ANy information on other cartridges would be appreciated.

The printer sits on a Novell network, so using something like GoScript would be
rather inconvenient.

Roger Hadgraft                  |  hadgraft@civeng.monash.edu.au
Lecturer in Civil Engineering   |
Monash University               |  phone:  +61 3 565 4983
Clayton, Vic. 3168. Australia.  |  fax:    +61 3 565 4944 or 3409

--
Roger Hadgraft                  |  hadgraft@civeng.monash.edu.au
Lecturer in Civil Engineering   |
Monash University               |  phone:  +61 3 565 4983
Clayton, Vic. 3168. Australia.  |  fax:    +61 3 565 4944 or 3409

bw@uecok..ecn.uoknor.edu (Bill Walker CS Faculty) (08/07/90)

	We use the Pacific Data Systems PostScript Emulator Cartridge
	with our LaserJet II.  It works well, but is really SLOW.

	Under Unix System V, we arranged the file under /usr/spool/lp/interface
	to include an option to either use HP commands or the
	Post Script stuff.  One of the chores that that file had to
	do was be sure that there was a Control-D present at the end
	of the print file.

	I'll be glad to e-mail the interface file to anyone.
	Better send e-mail to me via

		uecok!bw@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu

	instead of the path in the headers.

mcguffey@muvms3.BITNET (Michael McGuffey) (08/23/90)

In article <9008222045.AA08066@crayola.cs.UMD.EDU>,
	hadgraft@civeng.monash.edu.AU (Roger Hadgraft) writes:
> Has anyone had any experience with postscript cartridges for HP LaserJet
> printers? I am specifically interested in the Series II. There is a
	PacificPage
> cartridge that retails for US$500, but it's an emulation and I want to
	make sure
> it works. ANy information on other cartridges would be appreciated.

I've been looking for anyone with experience using an HPLJ III with the
HP Postscript cartridge queued off of a VMS system.  In my searchings
I ran across an ad in PC magazine for MicroWAREHOUSE.  They have ADOBE's
(yes it's the same company) HP cartridge for $279.  I called Adobe, and
they said they only sell Series II carts, no Series III.  This will help
you some (but leaves me paying $475 for HP's cartridge).

I'm still looking for help with the HP queued off a VMS system. Anyone
out there who can assist me?

-- michael
Michael McGuffey, Director	  BITNET:   mcguffey@marshall
Office of Institutional Research  Internet: mcguffey%muvms3@wvnvms.wvnet.edu
Marshall University		  Phone:    304/696-3212
Huntington, WV 25755		  FAX:      304/696-3601

ries@VENICE.SEDD.TRW.COM (Marc Ries) (08/23/90)

In article <9008222045.AA08066@crayola.cs.UMD.EDU> hadgraft@civeng.monash.edu.AU (Roger Hadgraft) writes:
->Has anyone had any experience with postscript cartridges for HP LaserJet
->printers? I am specifically interested in the Series II.There is a PacificPage
->cartridge that retails for $500, but it's an emulation and I want to make sure
->it works. ANy information on other cartridges would be appreciated.

 I have no experience, but Adobe has released an HPII (only) Postscript in
 a cartridge that is selling for a street price of ~$250-$300.  Plus it
 only requires a one meg memory upgrade vs. a two meg upgrade for the
 PacificPage unit.

geof@aurora.com (Geoffrey H. Cooper) (08/23/90)

In article <9008222045.AA08066@crayola.cs.UMD.EDU> hadgraft@civeng.monash.edu.AU (Roger Hadgraft) writes:

>Has anyone had any experience with postscript cartridges for HP LaserJet
>printers? I am specifically interested in the Series II.

I think that Adobe recently announced that they are selling a
cartridge for the LJII for less than that (btw, I also believe that
the Pacific Page cartridge is available for less than you said).
Might as well get the TM.

- Geof
--
geof@aurora.com / aurora!geof@decwrl.dec.com / geof%aurora.com@decwrl.dec.com