[comp.laser-printers] HP Laser IIP

MXP122@PSUVM.PSU.EDU (Malzor) (08/13/90)

Is the HP Laser IIP worth buying for personal uses?

Later.

geof@aurora.com (Geoffrey H. Cooper) (08/23/90)

In article <9008222046.AA08166@crayola.cs.UMD.EDU> MXP122@PSUVM.PSU.EDU (Malzor) writes:
>Is the HP Laser IIP worth buying for personal uses?

I had one in my office at a previous job for some time and used QMS
UltraScript PC with it.  I am biased towards PostScript.

The IIP is a wonderful machine.  The output is very crisp, essentially
identical to that of the II.  The printer warms up very fast, so it is
surprisingly fast to get a one page document out of it (perhaps faster
than the LJII).  The only thing that I noticed is that it curles the
paper a bit more than some printers.

As a PostScript vehicle, it is great, but I think that Apple and QMS
have cheaper solutions if you are about to buy a cartridge.

- Geof
--
geof@aurora.com / aurora!geof@decwrl.dec.com / geof%aurora.com@decwrl.dec.com

andrea@SDD.HP.COM (Andrea K. Frankel) (08/24/90)

In article <9008222046.AA08166@crayola.cs.UMD.EDU> MXP122@PSUVM.PSU.EDU (Malzor) writes:
>Is the HP Laser IIP worth buying for personal uses?

Well, there sure are alot of us HP employees buying them for our
personal use!

Andrea Frankel, Hewlett Packard, San Diego Technical Graphics Div., R&D Lab
	"wake now!  Discover that you are the song that the morning brings..."
Internet : andrea@sdd.hp.com (or andrea%hp-sdd@nosc.mil or @ucsd.edu)
UUCP     : {hplabs|nosc|hpfcla|ucsd}!hp-sdd!andrea
CSNET    : andrea%hp-sdd@hplabs.csnet
USnail   : 16399 W. Bernardo Drive - Mailstop 61U65, San Diego CA 92127-1899
Voice    : (619) 592-4664

obg@jakgym.se (Olof Backing) (08/24/90)

In article <9008222046.AA08166@crayola.cs.UMD.EDU> MXP122@PSUVM.PSU.EDU (Malzor) writes:

>Is the HP Laser IIP worth buying for personal uses?

No, since it hasn't that many fonts built in. I think it's about 2 font
available in the printer. A lot of extra money for fonts that you can't
live without. If you pay that you'll end up with the sum equal to a
HP LaserJet II or III.
--
Olof Backing                              UUCP: {unido, mcvax}!sunic!eltek!obg
Professorsslingan 25/102                  Internet: obg@jakgym.se

martin@cat.UUCP (Thomas Martin) (08/25/90)

Malzor (MXP122@PSUVM.PSU.EDU) schrieb am 13. 8.:

> Is the HP Laser IIP worth buying for personal uses?

I'm working with one since several months and did not have any trouble. It
seems to behave exactly like a LJII though it is, naturally, just half as
fast.

But I do not think that it is the only Laser you should look at because there
are some other rivals of the LJIIP in that segment of the printer-market like
the Canon of OKI machines.

I do not know the exact differences but I strongly assume they are all
HP-compatible and differ only in minor characteristics.

When buying a personal laser printer you should consider the following points:

1. Which fonts are included? Often not HP models offer more fonts already
included.

2. Is the printer capable of using HP cartridges and softfonts? So you can use
the broad offer of fonts for the laser-standard.

3. Can it emulate other printers? (HP LJ, IBM, EPSON...) HP just emulates
itself but other models often offer IBM or EPSON compatability.

4. What is the rated speed in pages per minute?

5. How much memory is included and how much can you add? Always remember that
the 'standard' 512k are not enough to print full page 300dpi graphics.

6. How much do toner cartridges cost? This, divided by the estimated number of
pages one cartridge will print, gives you an idea of how expensive one page
is.

I hope, that helps a little bit

Regards,

Thomas Martin