[comp.laser-printers] Fast printer port

mike@SP.UNISYS.COM (Mike Grenier) (03/21/91)

>From article <9103191530.AA20270@crayola.cs.UMD.EDU>, by les@chinet.chi.il.us (Leslie Mikesell):
> In article <9103132036.AA25596@crayola.cs.UMD.EDU> wcs@erebus.att.com (William Clare Stewart) writes:
>>I'm trying to find out how to connect big laser printers (50-100ppm)
>>to normal computers, in particular to 386/486 boxes running UNIX.
>
>>Are there any parallel port boards out there with hardware support
>>and/or DMA?  It wouldn't take much to do some simple buffering.

You may also want to grab my UNIX 386 printer driver that was posted awhile
back in comp.unix.sysv386. It is much faster than the brain damaged
interrupt per character versions that most vendors supply.

Basically, the parallel port will do about 500K bytes per second...most
printers however don't keep up.

    -Mike Grenier
     mike@cimcor.mn.org
     mike@sp.unisys.com