[comp.laser-printers] PCL-5 graphics specs wanted

woo@PIONEER.ARC.NASA.GOV (Alex Woo RAA) (03/16/91)

Rumor has it that PCL-5 not only includes scalable fonts but
rudimentary graphics commands, such as move and draw.
Can someone send me the format of these commands?
How about a gnuplot driver?

Thanks,

Alex Woo
woo@ames.arc.nasa.gov
Alex Woo, MS 227-6          |	woo@ames.arc.nasa.gov
NASA Ames Research Center	|	NASAMAIL	ACWOO
Moffett Field, CA 94035-1000|	{seismo,topaz,lll-crg,ucbvax}!
Phone: (415) 604-6010       |	ames!pioneer!woo
  {hplabs,hao,att,decwrl,allegra,tektronix,menlo70}!ames!pioneer!woo

andrea@SDD.HP.COM (Andrea K. Frankel) (03/19/91)

In article <9103181601.AA11447@crayola.cs.UMD.EDU> woo@PIONEER.ARC.NASA.GOV (Alex Woo RAA) writes:

>Rumor has it that PCL-5 not only includes scalable fonts but
>rudimentary graphics commands, such as move and draw.
>Can someone send me the format of these commands?
>How about a gnuplot driver?

Ahem.  PCL-5 contains the complete kernel and dual context extension of
the vector-oriented graphics language, HP-GL/2.

Far from rudimentary, it includes the ability to fill arbitrary polygons
(concave, with islands, self intersecting - whatever) with both hatch
and raster (and user-defined raster) fills with specifiable anchor
corner.  There are commands to set line thickness, type of line cap and
join, miter limit, linetype, user-defined linetype.  There are built-in
arcs and circles, wedges and rectangles.  There are many text attributes
to control labelling in addition to the fonts, giving you just about
everything except PostScript's ability to label along an arbitrary
curve (nice for fancy DTP effects, but not usually needed by most
applications I've seen).

The reference book is available at technical bookstores (and some large
general-purpose bookstores as well):

	The HP-GL/2 Reference Guide:
		a Handbook for Program Developers
	Addison-Wesley Publishing Co./Hewlett-Packard Press
	ISBN 0-201-56308-8

You can also find documentation on command formats in the

	LaserJet III Technical Reference Manual
	Hewlett-Packard part# 33449-90903

As far as a GnuPlot driver, I think you're probably on your own, but I
will forward a copy of this post to the project manager in charge of
driver connectivity.

Thanks for your interest!  and happy plotting...

Andrea Frankel, Hewlett Packard, San Diego Technical Graphics Div., R&D Lab
	"wake now!  Discover that you are the song that the morning brings..."
Internet : andrea@sdd.hp.com (or andrea%hp-sdd@nosc.mil or @ucsd.edu)
UUCP     : {hplabs|nosc|hpfcla|ucsd}!hp-sdd!andrea
CSNET    : andrea%hp-sdd@hplabs.csnet
USnail   : 16399 W. Bernardo Drive - Mailstop 61U65, San Diego CA 92127-1899
Voice    : (619) 592-4664

ngb@OTTER.HPL.HP.COM (Neal Baker) (03/21/91)

PCL 5 includes full HPGL graphics capability as on plotters. Refer to the
"PCL 5 Printer Language Technical Reference Manual" (part# 33459-90903)
for details of how to use it. For a copy try the sales office at:-
	Hewlett Packard Company
	5161 Lankershim Blvd
	North Hollywood, CA 91601
	(818) 505-5600

jrc@HPDMD48.BOI.HP.COM (Jim Conrad) (03/22/91)

PCL5 includes the plotter language, HP-GL/2.  You use it something like this,

    printf("\33%0B");			// Enter HP-GL/2 mode
    printf("IN");			// Initialize HP-GL/2 Mode
		.
		.			// Drawing commands
		.
    printf("\33%0A");			// Return to PCL
    printf("\33E");			// Reset and end job.

There are far too many drawing commands to describe here.  But if you were
to insert the following two statements into the code above, you'd draw a
triangle,

    printf("SP1PA10,10");		// Select pen 1, move to 10,10
    printf("PD2500,10,10,1500,10,10;");	// Pen down and draw three lines.

The complete language for the LaserJet III printers is documented in the
"PCL5 Printer Language Technical Reference Manual", HP Part 33459-90903.
I adapted the example above from this guide.

Jim Conrad
Network Printer Division