[comp.laser-printers] Toner rub-off in mass mailing

ralph@mtunq.att.com (Ralph Brandi) (03/22/91)

I recently purchased a QMS PS-410 to hook up to our Mac Plus at home.
One of the major uses is for my father's just-started consulting
business, so he can print brochures and form letters for soliciting
business.  The first few hundred copies of his initial mailing have
gone out, and the first few dozen copies have been returned as
undeliverable.... :-)  A problem has surfaced in the mailings, noted
on the ones that have been returned.  The toner on about 1/3 of the
mailings seems to be ghosting on the facing pages after going
through the mail.  We've tried testing by putting extended pressure
on folded copies.  Mom and Dad have called the post office to
inquire into sorting procedures, and have been assured that there is
not any heat involved in the process.  Any ideas on what's causing
this?  Better yet, any ideas on how to prevent this?  Mom's driving
us crazy with this....  :-)  Thanks.

Ralph Brandi
--
Ralph Brandi     ralph@mtunq.att.com     att!mtunq!ralph

Nothing falls up without being hurled

bill@bilver.UUCP (Bill Vermillion) (03/27/91)

In article <9103241833.AA18735@crayola.cs.UMD.EDU> ralph@mtunq.att.com (Ralph Brandi) writes:

>I recently purchased a QMS PS-410 to hook up to our Mac Plus at home.
>One of the major uses is for my father's just-started consulting
>business, so he can print brochures and form letters for soliciting
>business.  The first few hundred copies of his initial mailing have
>gone out, and the first few dozen copies have been returned as
>undeliverable.... :-)  A problem has surfaced in the mailings, noted
>on the ones that have been returned.  The toner on about 1/3 of the
>mailings seems to be ghosting on the facing pages after going
>through the mail.  We've tried testing by putting extended pressure
>on folded copies.  Mom and Dad have called the post office to
>inquire into sorting procedures, and have been assured that there is
>not any heat involved in the process.  Any ideas on what's causing
>this?  Better yet, any ideas on how to prevent this?  Mom's driving
>us crazy with this....  :-)  Thanks.

I have seen this more than once.   With laser printers and/or other
printers using thermal methods to tranfer/adhere letters to the paper.

Had a problem with IBM Quietwriters doing this.

In every instances that I have had experience with it is the paper being
used.  There are certain requirements for all papers being used in any of
these devices.

The typical problem I found at a local college was that "letterhead" was
being printed at the on-campus print shop.

Seems there was a slight oil coating on the surface after going through the
presses.

Everything looked fine, but you could rub the characters off.

Other instances of light or incosistent density across the page were also
paper related.

IBM page printers were doing this.  Turns out this paper was not stored
carefully and had a high moisture content.

Users think that if you can write on it with a ball-point you can use it in
a printer.  'taint so.

Try different paper and I'll bet the problem goes away.

If you are having paper pre-printed be SURE to tell those who are doing the
printer that you will be putting it through a laser printer.  Makes a BIG
difference and a good printer will give you what you need.

                      : bill@bilver.UUCP