[comp.laser-printers] Changing font characteristics

msmith@BUBBA.MA30.BULL.COM (Michael Smith) (03/22/91)

I am writing a MSC program that (among other things) prints a report
to a HPLJ IIs.  I am currently having trouble printing LARGE characters
and italics. I print out the control string(s) as specified in the
manuals.  For larger characters, I change the pitch and height,
but this doesn't work.  For italics, I send the italic command.
Neither works.

Any help would be appreciated,

thanks

    Mike Smith                       Bull HN Information Systems Inc.
    (508) 294-2049                   300 Concord Road   MA02 826A
    msmith@bubba.ma30.bull.com       Billerica, MA 01821

browns@iccgcc.decnet.ab.COM (Stan Brown) (03/26/91)

In article <9103221850.AA11843@crayola.cs.UMD.EDU>, msmith@BUBBA.MA30.BULL.COM (Michael Smith) writes:
> I am writing a MSC program that (among other things) prints a report
> to a HPLJ IIs.  I am currently having trouble printing LARGE characters
> and italics. I print out the control string(s) as specified in the
> manuals.  For larger characters, I change the pitch and height,
> but this doesn't work.  For italics, I send the italic command.
> Neither works.

This sounds like a 'RTFM'.  Look more closely at the 'font selection'
chapter of the manual.  There's no such thing as an 'italic command',
so I'm not sure what you're sending.

Some other questions:
   1. How large is LARGE?  Are those point sizes actually loaded
in the printer?
   2. Are you getting correct text in the wrong font or point size, or
is nothing printing at all?
   3. Are you sure you've selected the correct character sets?  Not
all fonts come in all character sets, and the matchup can be confusing.
   4. Specifically which characters (control sequences) are you sending?

The net can help you best when you give specific details of the problem.

My opinions are mine:  I don't speak for any other person or company.
                   email (until 91/4/30): browns@iccgcc.decnet.ab.com
Stan Brown, Oak Road Systems, Cleveland, Ohio, USA    +1 216 371 0043

Jerome_J._Szelong.LAX1B@xerox.com (03/27/91)

Are you sure that the fonts corresponding to the size or treatment (i.e.
italic) you are selecting are installed on the printer?  It is also important
that the symbol sets match, since symbol set is one of the highest priority
items in the font selection scheme.  For example, if the current font selection
is for 12 point using the Roman 8 set, and you change only the size to 30 point
by a PCL command, and if your 30 point font contains only the ASCII symbol set
to save space, it would not be selected.  When selecting a font it is a good
idea to specify all characteristics of the font you want, to assure that it
will really be selected.

Jerry