[comp.laser-printers] Prestige Elite

kxb@MATH.KSU.EDU (Karl Buck) (03/20/91)

Is there a inexpesive way to get presige elite fonts for the laserjet III?
I'm looking for a fixed width font that will be compatable with our old
printer fonts. We have just upgraded to the LJIII and don't want to
reformat all the existing documents.
--
 Karl Buck                   email: kxb@hilbert.math.ksu.edu
 KSU Dept. of Mathematics

ignoffo@HP-VCD.VCD.HP.COM (John Ignoffo) (03/23/91)

LJ-IIIs have an internal Courier 12 pitch (10point) font that should
work well as a replacement for Prestige Elite.  If you really want
the Prestige Elite typeface, HP offers a number of cartridges with
this typeface.  So do a number of other cartridge vendors.

HP Products:
         "Polished Worksheets" cartridge   P/N:  C2053A #C03
         "Int'l Collection" cartridge      P/N:  92286IC
         "Pro Collection" cartridge        P/N:  92286PC
         "TextEquations" cartridge         P/N:  C2053A #C07

all include Prestige Elite and other fonts.

browns@iccgcc.decnet.ab.COM (Stan Brown) (03/26/91)

In article <9103201513.AA22937@crayola.cs.UMD.EDU>, kxb@MATH.KSU.EDU (Karl Buck) writes:
> Is there a inexpesive way to get presige elite fonts for the laserjet III?
> I'm looking for a fixed width font that will be compatable with our old
> printer fonts. We have just upgraded to the LJIII and don't want to
> reformat all the existing documents.

I thought a major selling point for the LJ III was that all the
fonts are scalable.  Can't you just scale the 12-point (10 cpi)
Courier to 10-point (12 cpi).  It's not exactly Prestige Elite,
but it should be close enough.

I'd be interested to hear whether there's something wrong with my
reasoning, as I'm considering replacing my LJ II with an LJ III.

My opinions are mine:  I don't speak for any other person or company.
                   email (until 91/4/30): browns@iccgcc.decnet.ab.com
Stan Brown, Oak Road Systems, Cleveland, Ohio, USA    +1 216 371 0043

Jerome_J._Szelong.LAX1B@xerox.com (03/27/91)

The LJIII has both scalable resident fonts (CGTimes and Univers in normal,
bold, italic and bold italic) and non-scalable bitmap resident fonts (Courier
and Lineprinter) for backward compatibility.  Courier is available in both 10
and 12 point sizes.  Other scalable and bitmap fonts can be downloaded.

Jerry

CEE@CORNELLA.CIT.CORNELL.EDU (Charles Elliott) (03/27/91)

Actually the HPLJ III has built in NON scalable Courier 10 and 12 in all
standard fonts...italic, bold, regular and bold italic. The two scalable
fonts that come with are Univers and CG Times, and I believe they are both
proportional (Courier is not). Being able to scale faces makes it a whole
new ball game. Some kind of printer !  --good luck, Charles Elliott

Charles Elliott                                                 |
cee @ cornella                                                  |