[comp.laser-printers] HPJLIII legal size paper problem...

kline@UNIX.CIS.PITT.EDU ("William E Kline") (03/16/91)

I am using a H.P. LaserJet III and am having some trouble using legal
size paper in it.  AS far as I know I am doing things right.  But
you never really are sure.
I do not have the legal paper tray.  I am feeding the paper in the top
of the standard tray, manually.  The page will print up to the point
where it would normally be the end of a 8 1/2 by 11 sheet of paper
and then I receive a paper jam message.  I am printing from Pagemaker 3.01
Any suggestions.  I have read what manuals I have but see nothing wrong
with what I am doing...  :(
I have allowed the paper to feed out the top and out the back.  This
doesn't seem to make a difference.

Bill Kline                       | "We have so much time, and
Acadmic Computing                | so little to do.  Uhh,
University of Pittsburgh         | strike that, reverse it."
Bradford Campus                  |
kline@unix.cis.pitt.edu          |         -- Willy Wonka

wilker@GAUSS.MATH.PURDUE.EDU (Clarence Wilkerson) (03/19/91)

As far as I know, the HP's sense the paper size from the
configuration of the paper tray ( holes???). If you have
letter size tray in, you have to reset to get legal sized
tray recognized.
Clarence Wilkerson

henry@ZOO.TORONTO.EDU (Henry Spencer) (03/22/91)

In article <9103181601.AA11410@crayola.cs.UMD.EDU> kline@UNIX.CIS.PITT.EDU ("William E Kline") writes:
>I do not have the legal paper tray.  I am feeding the paper in the top
>of the standard tray, manually.  The page will print up to the point
>where it would normally be the end of a 8 1/2 by 11 sheet of paper
>and then I receive a paper jam message...

What is happening is very simple:  the printer is not expecting legal-size
paper.  You have to tell it, or convince your software to tell it, that it
is getting legal paper.  Otherwise it sees paper still in the machine at a
time when a letter-size sheet should have been out, and decides that there
must be a paper jam.

In the absence of a legal paper tray, you will also have to tell it that it
is getting manual feed.  On the LJn, for n >= 2, you can do manual feed
by just stuffing paper in the feed slot, but this is a special case that
only works for paper whose size matches the paper tray.

In general, you have to tell the printer what's going on.
--
"[Some people] positively *wish* to     | Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology
believe ill of the modern world."-R.Peto|  henry@zoo.toronto.edu  utzoo!henry

jrc@HPDMD48.BOI.HP.COM (Jim Conrad) (03/22/91)

The HP Personal Peripheral Assist Line should be able to answer questions
like this.  Their number is (208) 323-2551.  You pay for the call, but
not for the support.

Jim Conrad
Network Printer Division

craigg@HPWRCE.HP.COM (03/23/91)

Make sure that in PostScript that you have selected MANUAL instead of
Legal.

I had the same problem.  When the LaserJet says "LOAD LEGAL" it is looking
for the LEGAL paper cartridge not the Manual feed.

This is an easy mistake to make... kept me guessing for a week....

Hope that this helps..

|Craig Gilmore                     |  "I know GOD is a man, 'cause the first  |
|Hewlett-Packard Response Center   |  thing created was DIRT.  A woman would  |
|craigg@hpwrce.HP.COM              |  have created a DUSTBUSTER..." -Gallager |
|These are MY opinions, HP only pays me to answer questions and solve problems|

kline@unix.cis.pitt.edu ("William E Kline") (03/28/91)

Through the help of the network people I have found my mistake.  When
manually feeding the legal size paper you must make the software package
drive the printer.  If you set the printer with the front panel it still
does not fully understand.  The software must tell the printer you are
using legal size paper and that you intend to manually feed it.
Thanks for all the suggestions..