[comp.laser-printers] Latest and Greatest Laser Printers

jb3o+@ANDREW.CMU.EDU (Jon Allen Boone) (03/25/91)

All,

	I am the sys-admin for my department - and we are interested
in buying new laser-printers.  Currently, we have 3 Apple Laserwriter
+'s and 2 Laserwriter IIntx's (or maybe just IInt).  Anyway, I am
looking for information on what the best printers are currently.   Are
there any that we ought to buy - or should we just buy more
Laserwriters?

	Please respond via email, and I'll post a summary for those
who might be interested.

	Thanks for your help,

	       -=> iain <=-

----------------------------------|++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
| "He divines remedies against injuries;   | "Words are drugs."           |
|  he knows how to turn serious accidents  |     -Antero Alli             |
|  to his own advantage; whatever does not |                              |
|  kill him makes him stronger."           | "Culture is for bacteria."   |
|                   - Friedrich Nietzsche  |     - Christopher Hyatt      |
-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-

dave@EESUN.GWU.EDU (David M. Owczarek) (03/28/91)

In article <9103261508.AA26912@crayola.cs.UMD.EDU> jb3o+@ANDREW.CMU.EDU
> (Jon Allen Boone) writes:
>
>All,
>
>	I am the sys-admin for my department - and we are interested
>in buying new laser-printers.  Currently, we have 3 Apple Laserwriter
>+'s and 2 Laserwriter IIntx's (or maybe just IInt).  Anyway, I am
>looking for information on what the best printers are currently.   Are
>there any that we ought to buy - or should we just buy more
>Laserwriters?
>
>	Thanks for your help,
>
>	       -=> iain <=-

I don't know what your network is like, but we have a HP LaserJet 2000
on our unix network as the main printout device.  This is a high-speed
laser printer which handles a variety of jobs quite well.  It's
great for people with lots of code, but we also have it printing out
graphics, TeX, etc..  In our lab, that printer, plus a true PostScript
printer is adequate for all of our users.  It also save us from populating
the labs with smaller laser printers.

BTW, our labs is Sun, HP, SGI (30+ workstations/servers).

-Dave

Dave Owczarek, Operations Team  dave@seas.gwu.edu or uunet!seas.gwu.edu!dave
The George Washington University Engineering Computing Facility,  Wash. D.C.