[comp.laser-printers] QMS-410 problems

russ@PSYCH.TORONTO.EDU (Russell Sutherland Dean's Office) (04/01/91)

I have been having problems getting a new QMS-410 printer
hooked up to our local SUN3/280 computer. The printer is actually
attached to an Annex II terminal server over the serial line.

I have used the QMS-810 for 3 years now by simplying setting
the baudrate to 9600 and selecting XON/XOFF protocol.
All postscript jobs get passed to the spooler that simply
tacks on a CNTRL-D and fires the file to the printer.

After experimenting with the 410 for a few hours it seems
that batch mode does not work in quite the same manner.
(I have the serial port set to PS only mode).

Can anyone tell me the proper set up for postscript
only code over the serial port of the QMS-410?

--

Russell Sutherland			Bell:	   (416)-978-5140
Office of the Dean			Uucp:	   ...{utzoo,utgpu}!utas!russ

vmd@aloft.att.com (V Mark Dennis) (04/06/91)

In article <9104021823.AA17816@crayola.cs.UMD.EDU> russ@PSYCH.TORONTO.EDU (Russell Sutherland Dean's Office) writes:
>I have been having problems getting a new QMS-410 printer
>hooked up to our local SUN3/280 computer. The printer is actually
>attached to an Annex II terminal server over the serial line.

>--
>
>Russell Sutherland			Bell:	   (416)-978-5140
>Office of the Dean			Uucp:	   ...{utzoo,utgpu}!utas!russ
>Faculty of Arts and Science		Internet:  russ@artsci.utoronto.ca

I configured my printers using this code:

	%!
	executive
	serverdict begin 0 exitserver
	executive
	statusdict begin 0 setsoftwareiomode
	statusdict begin 25 9600 87 setsccbatch
	end
	quit

On your Test Configuration Page, the Serial RS-232C line will look likes
this:
	PostScript, 9600, none, 8, 1, XON/XOFFtpo

I got the '87' from QMS.  I have 3 410s and they work most of the time, but
a few times a week, they will each either hang or kill a job.  When the printer
hangs, I get this message:  Emulator trap - core dumped.  Also, there is a
.nfsXXX file in the spool directory.  When a job gets killed, I get this:
ERROR: printer is idle, giving up!.  This message comes from transcript.  I
believe the other comes from the OS.

I think I have a communications problem here.  QMS is supposedly checking into
it for us.

Mark Dennis
att!aloft!vmd

PS: The RS232 implementation varies from sun to sun model.