[comp.laser-printers] lw2 ntx at 19200 baud?

ccastd2@prism.gatech.edu (Dale Phurrough) (04/05/91)

I have seen a file that the people at Frame put out to software program
the laserwriter 2 ntx to talk at 19200.  The dip switches only handle
up to 9600 right?  Does anyone have this file or can create one like it.
We are using a AT&T 3B2 (yuck!) to handling spooling in a AUFS environment.
Some larger files 1.5 meg+ tend to timeout at the slower speeds (9600).  Any
ideas?

--
Lamborghini Diablo ===---->  the latest and fastest....
uucp:	  ...!{decvax,hplabs,ncar,purdue,rutgers}!gatech!prism!ccastd2

rossc@EXTRO.UCC.SU.OZ.AU (Ross Cartlidge) (04/09/91)

ccastd2@prism.gatech.edu (Dale Phurrough) writes:

>I have seen a file that the people at Frame put out to software program
>the laserwriter 2 ntx to talk at 19200.  The dip switches only handle
>up to 9600 right?  Does anyone have this file or can create one like it.
>We are using a AT&T 3B2 (yuck!) to handling spooling in a AUFS environment.
>Some larger files 1.5 meg+ tend to timeout at the slower speeds (9600).  Any
>ideas?

I use this:-

serverdict begin
0 exitserver
statusdict begin
25 19200 3 setsccbatch	% speed < 56000; 3 -> xon/xoff 8bit
end
^D	% that's a <cntl>D

This is documented in newer versions of the red book(I think)
Ross Rodney Cartlidge			    |   rossc@extro.ucc.su.oz.au
University Computing Service, H08	    |   Phone:     +61 2 6923497
University of Sydney, NSW 2006, Australia   |   FAX:       +61 2 6606557

rens@UBVMSB.CC.BUFFALO.EDU (Frank Rens) (04/09/91)

In article <9104081710.AA27704@crayola.cs.UMD.EDU>, ccastd2@prism.gatech.edu (Dale Phurrough) writes...

>I have seen a file that the people at Frame put out to software program
>the laserwriter 2 ntx to talk at 19200.  The dip switches only handle
>up to 9600 right?  Does anyone have this file or can create one like it.
>We are using a AT&T 3B2 (yuck!) to handling spooling in a AUFS environment.
>Some larger files 1.5 meg+ tend to timeout at the slower speeds (9600).  Any
>ideas?

	I use PrintCache by Laser Tools Corporation to drive my laserwriter II
NTX at 57600 from a PS/2 mod 80.  PrintCache handled the changing of the baud
rates both on the com port and the NTX with no problem.

jj1h+@ANDREW.CMU.EDU (Joseph Jackson) (04/10/91)

You might find it easier to just change the timeout value rather than
increasing the baud rate.  Include this code in your PostScript document
to disable the timeout feature for the remainder of the job:

0 setjobtimeout

Use the "setdefaulttimouts" operator to change it permanently.  If you
really want to change the communication parameters, the code below is
what I use to change the baud rate or parity options on my LaserWriters.

All of this information was gleaned from the appendix describing the
Apple LaserWriter in the PostScript Language Reference Manual (the red
book).

Good luck,

Joe Jackson
Distributed Workstation Services
Carnegie Mellon University

Internet:	jj1h+@andrew.cmu.edu
Bitnet:	jj1h+@ANDREW
AT&Tnet:	(412) 268-8799
_______________________

%!
/PASSWORD 0 def
serverdict begin PASSWORD exitserver

/LM 72 def
/SIZE 20 def
/CHANNEL 25 def
/BAUD-SETTING 9600 def
/OPTIONS-SETTING 0 def

/baud 7 string def
/options 7 string def
/options-description 40 string def

/inch {72 mul} def

/newline {
  currentpoint SIZE sub
  exch pop
  LM exch
  moveto
} def

statusdict begin
CHANNEL BAUD-SETTING OPTIONS-SETTING setsccbatch
end

BAUD-SETTING OPTIONS-SETTING
dup options cvs pop
dup 0 eq {(Ignore parity)} if
dup 1 eq {(Odd parity)} if
dup 2 eq {(Even parity)} if
dup 3 eq {(No parity)} if
options-description cvs pop
pop % take options integer off
baud cvs pop

1 inch 10 inch moveto

/Times-Bold findfont SIZE scalefont setfont
(Setting sccbatch parameters to the following parameters: ) show
newline
newline

/Times-Roman findfont SIZE scalefont setfont
(baud: ) show
baud show
newline
options show
newline
(description of options: ) show
options-description show
newline
showpage
Joe Jackson
Distributed Workstation Services
Carnegie Mellon University

Internet:	jj1h+@andrew.cmu.edu
Bitnet:	jj1h+@ANDREW
AT&Tnet:	(412) 268-8799

de@HELIOS.UCSC.EDU (De Clarke) (04/11/91)

% cat nostart.ps
%!
serverdict begin 0 exitserver
false setdostartpage

% cat setport.ps
%!
serverdict begin 0 exitserver
statusdict begin 25 19200 4 setsccbatch

LW2 NTX can be run up to 38400 (but watch the line length).

: De Clarke, Computing Resources Mgr.	           UCO/Lick Observatory, UCSC :
: de@helios.ucsc.edu   The Regents don't often agree with me nor I with them. :
: de@portal.bitnet              "Praise the Net, and pass the information..." :