[net.news.group] Instructions for net.general

alcmist@ssc-vax.UUCP (Frederick Wamsley) (01/21/85)

Mark Horton and Adam Buchsbaum have objected to the idea of posting
guidelines for the use of net.general in a new subgroup of net.general.
Their major concerns are that nobody would pay attention, and that
anybody who would listen to reason has already been enlightened by
net.announce.newusers.  Their exact words are below.

Whenever Chuq flames in net.general about inappropriate messages there,
the traffic goes down for a few weeks.  Apparently many people do pay attention
to what they read.  Certainly net.announce.newusers has helped
many newcomers.

I'm alarmed to find myself disagreeing with people who know the net as
well as Mark and Adam do.  I think they are simply underestimating the
ignorance of much of the net population.  I seriously think there are
many people who don't read net.announce.newusers
*because they don't know it exists!*

I'm thinking of casual users at sites with old software and careless
administrators.  They start by typing readnews with no arguments, and
never see any group but net.general.  They have no idea of the extent
of the net. Such people obviously exist, since we keep seeing requests
in net.general for the list of newsgroups.  For everyone who asks there
are probably dozens more who don't ask.

We need to reach these people before they try to sell their '62
Chevys.  Net.general or a subgroup is the only way to do it.

Adam is right that a new group, net.general.newusers, is overkill.
Would regular articles in net.general be better?

Nothing short of a rmgroup will get rid of intentional mispostings.
Everything I have said is based on my assumption that ignorance causes
a big fraction of the problems with net.general.  If the net experts
think otherwise, I withdraw my proposal.
	-Fred Wamsley

From Mark Horton:
> Posting instructions has never worked before.  Most of the problem
> comes from people who don't know how to read instructions.
>
> [followed by a suggestion for a mod.general, to handle messages of
>  wide interest but not important enough for net.announce]
>       Mark
From Adam Buchsbaum:

--
UUCP:{ihnp4,decvax}!uw-beaver!ssc-vax!alcmist ARPA:ssc-vax!alcmist@uw-beaver
I am not speaking as a representative of the Boeing Company or any of

bytebug@pertec.UUCP (roger long) (01/31/85)

Hadn't we decided to get *rid* of net.general?  This was brought up many
moons ago, and most people said they had already unsubscribed to it.  Why
is it still around?
--
	roger long
	pertec computer corp

avolio@grendel.UUCP (Frederick M. Avolio) (02/02/85)

alcmist@uw-beaver writes:
> ...  I seriously think there are many people who don't read
> net.announce.newusers *because they don't know it exists!*
> I'm thinking of casual users at sites with old software and careless
> administrators.  They start by typing readnews with no arguments, and
> never see any group but net.general...

As news administrators know (from installing the software),  the  news
software  has  built  in the ability to specify "mandatory" groups and
"default" news groups. net.announce (including the sub-group newusers)
is one of those set as "mandatory" in the software distribution.  But,
there is no way to force site administrators to leave  this  there  so
that all new users will see net.announce.newuser.
--
Fred Avolio      {decvax,seismo}!grendel!avolio      301/731-4100 x4227

dgary@ecsvax.UUCP (D Gary Grady) (02/05/85)

<>
How about a monthly BRIEF summary in net.general of how to use the net
and where to look for more detailed advice (net.announce.newusers)?
Such an article could be no more than 20 lines and would probably have
a strong negative impact on the volume of net.general.
--
D Gary Grady
Duke U Comp Center, Durham, NC  27706

chip@t4test.UUCP (Chip Rosenthal) (02/07/85)

A while back there was a discussion on how to stem the tide of commonly
asked suggestions to a newsgroup.  I guess net.audio is really suspect
to this.  I see a parallel between the "commonly asked questions" and
the "misuse/abuse of newsgroups" problems.

Someone suggested creating a handful of magic article numbers which
would contain the answers to these common questions.  The magic
articles would always be there and would be the first thing a new user
would see in the newsgroup.  I made a suggestion which would also work
on this problem:  use a long expiration date.

If a description of net.general were written and posted with a long
expiration date, new users would see it as their very first article
once the exipration cycle takes hold.  No messy inews hacks--no need to
go to other newsgroups.

--

Chip Rosenthal, Intel/Santa Clara
{cbosgd,idi,intelca,icalqa,kremvax,qubix,ucscc} ! {t4test,t12tst} ! {chip,news}

hokey@plus5.UUCP (Hokey) (02/12/85)

In article <1328@t4test.UUCP> chip@t12tst.UUCP writes:
>Someone suggested creating a handful of magic article numbers which
>would contain the answers to these common questions.  The magic
>articles would always be there and would be the first thing a new user
>would see in the newsgroup.  I made a suggestion which would also work
>on this problem:  use a long expiration date.

Not quite; new sites would not have the articles on them.  Furthermore,
even if the articles were periodically retransmitted, they would not get
past the first site which had them on line (duplicate article ...).

Next, until many of us are satisfied with the behavior of expire we will
continue to run "find" scripts which delete all of the articles which
are "too" old.  (OK, I guess we could hack the script to ignore articles
which met the specs for "keepers".)

We could always try do something with a new control message, but I don't
know anybody who would want the volume of mail generated when all the
"old" news versions reject the unknown control message.

Note that these problems would mostly vanish if we had a Wonderful ihave/
sendme protocol.  We could even use this same mechanism for automatically
maintaining the map information.

I can't wait 'til I get enough time to look at sendmail, xfernews, small
furry animals with great big teeth...
--
Hokey           ..ihnp4!plus5!hokey
		  314-725-9492