[comp.laser-printers] High speed, A3-capable, PostScript Printers?

tom@srl.mew.mei.co.jp (Tom Borgstrom) (04/17/91)

Well, the two LaserWriters on our network are getting really bogged down so
I thought it would be a good time to look at getting a more capable
printer. I was wondering if anybody could steer me in the right
direction for a printer with these qualifications:

* Better performance (2-10x) than the LaserWriter, especially for large
  bit-maps

* PostScript capability

* Multiple paper sizes including A3

* Ethernet (?)

The only one I've found so far is the Talaris 2090 PrintStation
(20ppm, PS, A3, Ethernet, $20k)

Thanks for your help.

-tom
==
Thomas H. Borgstrom                         tom@mew.mei.co.jp
Semiconductor Research Lab                  telephone: +81 6-908-1431
Matsushita Electric Works                   facsimile: +81 6-906-7251
1048 Kadoma, Osaka 571 Japan

farmer@MERMAID.MICRO.UMN.EDU (David Farmer) (04/18/91)

tom@srl.mew.mei.co.jp (Tom Borgstrom) writes:

>printer. I was wondering if anybody could steer me in the right
>direction for a printer with these qualifications:

>* Better performance (2-10x) than the LaserWriter, especially for large
>  bit-maps

>* PostScript capability

>* Multiple paper sizes including A3

>* Ethernet (?)

>The only one I've found so far is the Talaris 2090 PrintStation
>(20ppm, PS, A3, Ethernet, $20k)

We here at Minnesota Daily have a Xitron Inc. Clipper, that we use to
produce our news paper.

It uses a Hitachi engine rated at 12,000 pgs/month, the engine looks
like a mid-sized copier and has a replaceable drum, so with replacement
parts it should run for a long time.  It has two paper trays and supports
A3, A4, Letter, Ledger, Legal.  Prints at 10ppm letter size.
Has a resolution of 600 X 600 dpi, real not jazed up 300 X 300.

It has postscript, I was told 16 times faster than a LaserWriter NTX even
with 4 times as many dots.

For ports it has serial, parallel, and appletalk all polled at the same time,
ethernet just came out, we will be getting it soon.

The main problem we have right now is data transmition time, but the ethernet
port should take care of that.

It costs 20-30k, and we compute our oper. costs at 6-7 cents per page,
tabloid size, drum, paper, toner and every thing else.

Talk to ...

   Xitron Inc.
   1428 East Ellsworth Rd.
   Ann Arbor, MI 48108
   (313) 971-8530

It is a Cooooool printer.

*  David Farmer               *  farmer@good.mndly.umn.edu               *
*  EDP Hardware Mgr.          *  Hardware Manager, and Computer Dude     *
*  Minnesota Daily            *                                          *
*  720 Washington Ave. SE     *  The Minnesota Daily,                    *
*  Minneapolis, MN 55414      *  a Commie Pinko Rage and Proud of it.    *