[comp.laser-printers] LaserPro Printers

andyg@crash.cts.com (Andy Guevara) (05/02/91)

Appologies if you see this as a second posting. It bounced back really
strangely.

In article <9104171649.AA25749@crayola.cs.UMD.EDU> jap@cblph.att.com (James A
 Parker) writes:

>I just got a catalog from DAK offering a "LaserPro Silver Express" printer for
>$699.  According to the ad copy, this printer can accept HP LaserJet+ font
>cartridges.  It comes with either 1MB or 1.5MB of memory.  A few questions:
>
>  1) Can is accept Pacific Data Products' Postscript cartridge?  Alternatively,
>      is postscript in some other form available?

Unfortunately, no. The PDP Postscript cartridge takes over the whole printer,
and the LaserPro is a different architecture internally. It will use the font
cartridges though.

>  2) Is additional memory available for this printer, and at a reasonable
>      cost?

Memory is available, but I don't know the cost.

>  3) What engine is this printer based on (for getting drum and toner)?

The engine is the TEC 1301, but the toner and drum are available from Office
Automation Systems, which makes the controller board and builds the rest of
the printer. The drum lifetime is a lot longer than for the HP series II.

>  4) What experiences, good or bad, has anyone had with this printer?

There are a few really good things about this printer. 1) It's 8 pages per
minute, 2) It can do 6 different printer emulations, including FX80 and HP,
3) It has EXPRESS command language.

EXPRESS is probably the best part. It is a page composition language that gives
you full control of every point on the page. It has box, arc, and line draw
commands, and has 39 different bar code types (if you're into that sort of
thing). It can do user-defined fill patterns, and produce fonts up to 2".
That's in addition to the normal fonts in the machine (around 20 I think, if
you count both orientations). You can also download HP format fonts, and create
your own fonts or bitmap graphics, like a signature or logo.

>I am looking at this as a personal laser printer for desktop publishing use.
>Any help would be appreciated.
>
>                                Thanks,
>
>                                James A. Parker
>                                jap@cblph.att.com

No problem.

"If you are pregnant or nursing,      |    -= Andy Guevara =-
please seek the advice of a doctor    |  {anywhere}!crash!andyg
before using this information."       |