[comp.laser-printers] Seiko vs. Tek Phaser color printers?

1k1mgm@KUHUB.CC.UKANS.EDU (Christopher Gunn) (04/24/91)

Any experience out there pro or con re: Seiko ColorPoint PS color
PostScript printers?  Reviews in Mac rags suggest that it and
Tek Phaser PX are the best at image/continuous-tone graphics among
models in the $6K-8K range, and the Tek is about $1.5K more.
Another problem with the Tek is absense of black in ribbons.

Target environment is diverse--various flavors Unix, VMS, Macs, maybe
PCs--and I'd be particularly interested in hearing about interface
& driver problems.  I'm aware early Seikos had brain-dead LocalTalk
interfaces, but I'm hoping that problem has been fixed.

Christopher Gunn	Molecular Graphics and Modeling Lab
SPAN--KUPHSX::GUNN	Department of Medicinal Chemistry, Malott Hall
913-864-4428 or -4495	University of Kansas, Lawrence, KS  66045

1k1mgm@KUHUB.CC.UKANS.EDU (Christopher Gunn) (04/30/91)

In article <9104291524.AA00327@crayola.cs.UMD.EDU>, 1k1mgm@KUHUB.CC.UKANS.EDU (Christopher Gunn) writes:
> Any experience out there pro or con re: Seiko ColorPoint PS color
> PostScript printers?  Reviews in Mac rags suggest that it and
> Tek Phaser PX are the best at image/continuous-tone graphics among
> models in the $6K-8K range, and the Tek is about $1.5K more.
> Another problem with the Tek is absense of black in ribbons.

Oops.  I've learned subsequently that Tek has 3, 4 and 1 color
ribbons.  Alleged limitation to Y-M-C was a mistake in the
Mac magazine from which I got the information.

However, a Tek person did tell me that they think you get
better black from Y+M+C than from a separate black pass, at
least for dense renderings.

Sorry for reproducing misinformation.

Kit Gunn, Univ. of Ks.

darrellm@pogo.wv.tek.com (Darrell McGinnis) (05/04/91)

	Tek does sell ribbons that have black panels for the
thermal wax engines. In fact you can get black only ribbons
(more copies per ribbon) of you don't want to do color.

	My understanding is that 4 color ribbons (cyan,magenta,yellow,black)
are designed for transperency printing (where composite black doesn't
look as good as true black).

	for:
		CMYK (4pass) ribbons (275 prints/roll ?) part# 016-0898-00
		CMY  (3pass) ribbons (365 prints/roll ?) part# 016-0906-00
		black only   ribbons (1100 prints/roll?) part# 016-0904-00

	Supplies Ordering phone number is 800-TEK-6100
	(part numbers are from memory so don't hold me liable.)