[comp.laser-printers] Printing from Mac to HP Laser Jet???

jdonovan@GARNET.BERKELEY.EDU (John Donovan) (05/02/91)

We have a HP LJIII with Postscript Cartridge; it works fine. However
if we try to use the cartridge with an old HP LJII it does not seem
to recognize it. If we print a postscript file, we just get a text copy
of the postscript codes. The original purpose was to print from a
Mac Classic to the HP LJII. Any ideas? Please respond to my e-mail
address, since I'm not a newsgroup reader usually. Thank-you.
--
| JOHN J. DONOVAN                   Electron Beam Micro-Analytical Laboratory |
| DEPARTMENT OF GEOLOGY                       *** PROBE THE EARTH ***         |

Michael_Hallin.Xeroxvang@rxdk.xerox.com (05/03/91)

Hi J....

I did sometime ago investigate the different low-end laserprinters as to find
the best combined HP LaserJet / PostScript solution. During that period I
discovered different remarks (mainly from Byte) about the PostScript cartridges
for the HP printer series, specifically the Pacific Page cartridge. These
remarks made it quite clear, that there is a difference between cartridges used
the HPII and the HPIII, in fact Pacific retails with three different
cartridges, one for the old series, one for the HPII and one for HPIII/HPIIP.
Hope this gives some clues as to what the problem might be....

Regards,

Michael

peter@VERSATEC.UUCP (Peter Tapscott) (05/04/91)

In article <9105021429.AA11953@crayola.cs.UMD.EDU> jdonovan@GARNET.BERKELEY.EDU (John Donovan) writes:
>We have a HP LJIII with Postscript Cartridge; it works fine. However
>if we try to use the cartridge with an old HP LJII it does not seem
>to recognize it. If we print a postscript file, we just get a text copy
>of the postscript codes. The original purpose was to print from a
>Mac Classic to the HP LJII. Any ideas? Please respond to my e-mail
>address, since I'm not a newsgroup reader usually. Thank-you.
>--
>| JOHN J. DONOVAN                   Electron Beam Micro-Analytical Laboratory |
>| DEPARTMENT OF GEOLOGY                       *** PROBE THE EARTH ***         |
>| UNIVERSITY OF CALIFORNIA          Phone :  (415) 642-5459 or (415) 642-3996 |
>| BERKELEY, CA, 94720               Internet :   jdonovan@garnet.berkeley.edu |

The Postscript Cartridge for the LJII is different than the
cartridge for the LJIII.  The only explanation seems to be that
HP wanted to get a small headstart on the other cartridge makers
for the LJIII(read: Greed).

The LJII looks for a key word on the cartridge to determine if
it is a program (eg Postscript) or data (eg font).  HP changed the
key word for LJIII.

So you have to buy two cartridges if you want to run Postscript on
both machines.  Adobe and Pacific Page have cartridges for the
LJII.  Adobe's is offical Adobe, while Pacific Data Products' is
licensed from Phoenix (clone).  HP's cartridge is Adobe Postscript
and runs only on the LJIII.

| peter@versatc.VERSATEC.COM     -OR-    {ames|apple|sun}!versatc!peter|
| Peter Tapscott - Xerox Engineering Systems, Versatec Products        |
| 2805 Bowers Avenue, Santa Clara, Calif                 (408)982-4235 |

amichiel@RODAN.ACS.SYR.EDU (Allen J Michielsen) (05/05/91)

<@crayola.cs.UMD.EDU> Michael_Hallin.Xeroxvang@rxdk.xerox.com writes:
>for the HP printer series, specifically the Pacific Page cartridge. These
>remarks made it quite clear, that there is a difference between cartridges
>the HPII and the HPIII, in fact Pacific retails with three different
>cartridges, one for the old series, one for the HPII and one for HPIII/HPIIP.

Besides different cartridge for 3 different machines, they also have 3
different major versions and products for the same thing.  there is the
old style cartridges in several minor versions, the new style cartridges
in 1 or 2 minor version, and then a similiar but different product which
is altogether different and is really a accelerator...
This make a otherwise confusing matter utterly mixed up.
al

--
Al. Michielsen, Mechanical & Aerospace Engineering, Syracuse University
 InterNet: amichiel@rodan.acs.syr.edu  amichiel@sunrise.acs.syr.edu