[comp.laser-printers] HP LJ III vs Apple LW IINT for Macintosh?

lwright@JARTHUR.CLAREMONT.EDU (Lyle Wright) (05/04/91)

I am currently considering the purchase of a laser printer for my Macintosh.
I have worked with the Apple LaserWriter IINT and know that all of my fonts
that I own will work with it and all of the programs that generate PostScript
will function just as expected.  I have been following the progress of the
HP LaserJet III with its RET (Resolution Enhancement Technology) and its
lower price.  I would like an evaluation as if price were not really an
issue.

My questions are of the following:

1. Is it truly compatible with everything that is available for the Mac?
   I know that I would need a PostScript cartridge to plug in but what about
   using all of the fonts that I own from Adobe?

2. In addition to compatibility, what about performance with speed and
   maintenance?

Thanks in advance,
Lyle
Lyle Wright                     |     Internet: lwright@hmcvax.claremont.edu
Mathematica Developer           |               lwright@jarthur.claremont.edu
Harvey Mudd College             |       BITNET: lwright@hmcvax.bitnet
Claremont, CA  91711            |        Voice: (714) 621-8555 x2024

kkothman@WEBER.UCSD.EDU (Keith Kothman) (05/10/91)

In <9105071854.AA21800@crayola.cs.UMD.EDU> lwright@JARTHUR.CLAREMONT.EDU (Lyle Wright) writes:

>I am currently considering the purchase of a laser printer for my Macintosh.
>I have worked with the Apple LaserWriter IINT and know that all of my fonts
>that I own will work with it and all of the programs that generate PostScript
>will function just as expected.  I have been following the progress of the
>HP LaserJet III with its RET (Resolution Enhancement Technology) and its
>lower price.  I would like an evaluation as if price were not really an
>issue.

>My questions are of the following:

>1. Is it truly compatible with everything that is available for the Mac?
>   I know that I would need a PostScript cartridge to plug in but what about
>   using all of the fonts that I own from Adobe?

The Postscript cartridge for the HP is true Adobe Postscript.  Any
Adobe fonts that you have will by definition be compatible.  I have
also worked with  a III in a network situation and have experienced
no problems to date.

>2. In addition to compatibility, what about performance with speed and
>   maintenance?

The print engine of the IINT and the III are the same, so
maintenance will be roughly the same for both.  Both are very
reliable, and have a large installed user base, so getting repairs
on either will be quite easy if needed.

The III prints postscript text (with some Math equations) at about 5
ppm.  I wasn't able to do a direct comparison with a IINT, but
imagine that you should be able to get about 6 ppm for the same
document, or about %20 faster.  For instense graphics, the speed
difference may be greater.

Overall, cartridge postscript is not very elegant in operation, as
opposed to ROM-based implementations.  But in the case of the III,
it works and works well.  The III also has an LCD display status
menu, plus front panel buttons for configurability.  It's mainly a
question of money to me.

Keith Kothman
kkothman@ucsd.edu