[net.news.group] net.music.gs is formed

spaf@gatech.UUCP (Gene Spafford) (02/10/85)

In article <1150008@acf4.UUCP> percus@acf4.UUCP (Allon G. Percus) writes:
>A while ago, I enquired about popular opinion toward a net.music.gs
>newsgroup, covering topics relating to Gilbert & Sullivan.
>I took the liberty of assuming "no reply" to be a "yes" answer,
>and thus such a net has now been formed.
>
>(Well, if you were so opposed to it, you would have responded!)

Ever consider that the reason no one ever responded is that no one
cared enough about the topic?  That perhaps no one would bother to read
or post to such a group if it was created?  We already have enough
groups like that -- we don't need any more.

The standard convention on this network for creating new newsgroups is
to net.news.group explaining why you think there should be such a
group.  If you get 20 or 30 positive responses and no significant
negative response, and if there is a demonstrated or obvious readership
for the group, then it can be created.  Since I keep the list of active
newsgroups, I have been the one to create new groups in the last few
months (usually).

There has been no discussion about the need for a net.music.gs.  I have
seen only 2 articles total on the subject in the last few months, and
neither were in net.news.group.  I see no history of discussion which
would warrant a separate newsgroup for this topic.  Therefore, the
group is not needed (according to Usenet convention).

I will not add any such group to the list of active groups, and if it
appears at this site, I will "rmgroup" it, so all those of you who have
written to me complaining -- don't worry about it.  If a future need
develops, and the group is discussed and created according to convention,
then we can officially create it.

Everyone on the net should read the material in net.announce.newusers,
if they have not already done so.  It explains how to go about getting a
new newsgroup started.  We try not to create new ones without a very
well-established need.  If any of you have not read that material,
please do so before you post anything else.
--
Gene "6 months and counting" Spafford
The Clouds Project, School of ICS, Georgia Tech, Atlanta GA 30332

percus@acf4.UUCP (Allon G. Percus) (02/13/85)

> The standard convention on this network for creating new newsgroups is
> to net.news.group explaining why you think there should be such a
> group.  If you get 20 or 30 positive responses and no significant
> negative response, and if there is a demonstrated or obvious readership
> for the group, then it can be created.  Since I keep the list of active
> newsgroups, I have been the one to create new groups in the last few
> months (usually).

OK.  Meanwhile, I'll follow your etiquette in another manner:
net.tv.prisoner.  (A topic which is definitely not related to
net.tv.drwho, but nonetheless is discussed on that newsgroup,
while it deserves a place of its own)  I'm sure there will
be plenty of support for that, and there already has been
quite obvious readership for it.  Read the upcoming note
in net.news.group concerning it.
                                         A. G. Percus
                                  (ARPA) percus@nyu-acf4
                                  (NYU)  percus.acf4