[net.bugs.uucp] Possible improvement: wizards opinio

honey@down.FUN (10/25/84)

System V based versions of uucp (that includes you-know-what) achieve
the same goal, in a different way.

Whenever a C.whatever is opened for processing, cico peeks to see if
there is a corresponding A.whatever file; if so, an integer is read
from the A. file and that many lines are skipped in the C. file.  After
completing the transaction on a given line of the C. file, the line
number is written into the A. file.

I'm not saying this is any better than what Lee suggests, but it
suffices.  I know I would be reluctant to write in the C. file.  On the
other hand, I believe Lauren uses Lee's scheme.
	Peter

honey@down.FUN (10/25/84)

I guess you're suggesting that uucp try to keep exactly one command
file per site.  I see no real advantage to this approach.  By using a
separate command file for each transaction, the job-id for a given
request can be derived from the name of the corresponding command
file.  Some people actually use the job-id given by uustat and by the
-mfile options of uux and uucp.  At least one version of uucp even gets
it right!
	Peter

lee@west44.UUCP (Lee McLoughlin) (11/02/84)

In article <> honey@down.FUN writes:
>I guess you're suggesting that uucp try to keep exactly one command
>file per site.  I see no real advantage to this approach.

NO! I'm not suggesting a single C. file per site, such  a  scheme
would  be  *VERY* difficult to manage. For example you would have
to reuse old entries in some way in order to keep the file  to  a
suitable length, imagine all the problems that brings!

All I wanted to do was to skip entries  that  have  already  been
done.

Some of the sites who use my uucp are V7 sites and I must work to
my  lowest common denominator so I cannot simply use a Sys5 based
uucp.  Nor can I borrow the features of such a version since  its
probably  infringing  licensing.  So  I'm forced, reluctantly, to
re-invent them.
--
UKUUCP SUPPORT  Lee McLoughlin	<UK>!ukc!lmcl
		kcl-cs!lee

honey@down.FUN (11/03/84)

Sorry for the confusion, Lee -- that note was a reply to Chris' reply
to your note, not to your base note.  I hope you received my reply to
your note.
	Peter