[net.bugs.uucp] Need help with XENIX UUCP L.sys

dan@sri-tsc.UUCP (Dan Chernikoff) (08/14/84)

I am trying to set up a Radio Shack TRS80 Model 16 running XENIX to dial out
with uucp via a D.C.  Hayes modem.  No UUCP documentation comes with the
software.  We contacted our store reps, and they were able to get us a
hand-copied 5 page set of notes, which helped but not enough.  I am not a
novice at setting up L.sys files, however the XENIX folks in their infinite
wisdom have changed the L.sys format sufficiently that nothing I try works.
Specifically, how do you send a newline/carriage return in the expect-reply
section of the L.sys line, and how do you indicate delays?  I've tried "\r",
"\n", "\d", and lots of other things and none of them work.  Any suggestions
would be greatly appreciated!

	-Dan Chernikoff
	{hplabs,sun,cmcl2,fortune}!sri-tsc!dan
	dan@sri-tsc

honey@down.FUN (08/16/84)

uucico admits carriage return in the L.sys chat script.  putting
it there is another issue.
	peter

cds@marvin.UUCP (Admin) (08/28/84)

[...]
	The lack of intelligence in XENIX UUCP is easily explained when you
	look at its lineage, it is V7 uucp with some of the more noticable
	bugs fixed, that's all.
--

		Chris Seabrook

UUCP:			{ENGLAND}!ukc!qtlon!cds
			qusavx!qtlon!cds
PHONE:			+44 1 637 7061

cc1@ucla-cs.UUCP (11/27/84)

In article <3034@sri-tsc.UUCP> dan@sri-tsc.UUCP (Dan Chernikoff) writes:
>I am trying to set up a Radio Shack TRS80 Model 16 running XENIX to dial out
>with uucp via a D.C.  Hayes modem.  No UUCP documentation comes with the
>software.  We contacted our store reps, and they were able to get us a
>hand-copied 5 page set of notes, which helped but not enough.  I am not a
>novice at setting up L.sys files, however the XENIX folks in their infinite
>wisdom have changed the L.sys format sufficiently that nothing I try works.
>Specifically, how do you send a newline/carriage return in the expect-reply
>section of the L.sys line, and how do you indicate delays?  I've tried "\r",
>"\n", "\d", and lots of other things and none of them work.  Any suggestions
>would be greatly appreciated!
>
>	-Dan Chernikoff
>	{hplabs,sun,cmcl2,fortune}!sri-tsc!dan
>	dan@sri-tsc

What 5 pages of notes? Where can I get ahold of those?
More importantly, how are you dialing out on a smartmodem? The code in the
xenix kernel assumes a radio shack modem, and the two (rs, hayes) are not
compatible. Also, have you had any success in getting the system to HANG UP
THE PHONE LINE? It refuses to do so at my end. (running 1.3.2)
					Michael Gersten

marcum@rhino.UUCP (Alan M. Marcum) (11/28/84)

I'm unfamiliar with your particular uucp, but in general, \nnn
works for specifying control characters.  ^M (\r) is \015; ^J
(\n) is \012.  Not that, by default, a Hayes expects things
terminated with \015, with no trailing newline.  The "no trailing
newline" can, usually, be specified using \c.  So, for example,
one of my Hayes dial-out entry fragments is

	"" ATdt(415)5551212\015\c \
	CONNECT PAUSE2 "" EOT \
	ogin: .......

Have no idea how well this'll work with another uucp....
--
Alan M. Marcum		Fortune Systems, Redwood City, California
...!{ihnp4, ucbvax!amd, hpda, sri-unix, harpo}!fortune!rhino!marcum

ted@usceast.UUCP (Ted Nolan) (11/29/84)

Don't have xenix here but...

At one point I was trying to dial a modem through expect send sequences in
L.sys ( on v7 I think) and needed to send a CR .  The only way I found to do
this was to actually put an honest to goodness physical CR on the line.

There are several ways to do this, but if all else fails do
	stty nl
which turns off the mapping of CR s to LF s (which means you will need to hit
linefeed (Control J)  instead of return until you do another stty).

While in this mode, ed the file and in the position that you want the cr,
do a substitute with a cr in it. Leave the editor and do
	stty -nl

This will work on any v7 based system that I am aware of. (And a quick look
at the sys5 man page leads me to think it will work there too).

If xenix has a good vi, get in the position you need the CR go into insert mode
and hit ^V<CR> . (control V and return)

I should note that L.sys will be hard to look at after you do this.

			Good Luck
			Ted Nolan	..usceast!ted
Ted Nolan                               ...decvax!mcnc!ncsu!ncrcae!usceast!ted
6536 Brookside Circle                   ...akgua!usceast!ted
Columbia, SC 29206
      ("Deep space is my dwelling place, the stars my destination")

randy@wlcrjs.UUCP (Randy Suess) (11/29/84)

>In article <3034@sri-tsc.UUCP> dan@sri-tsc.UUCP (Dan Chernikoff) writes:
>>I am trying to set up a Radio Shack TRS80 Model 16 running XENIX to dial out
>>Specifically, how do you send a newline/carriage return in the expect-reply
>>section of the L.sys line, and how do you indicate delays?  I've tried "\r",
>>"\n", "\d", and lots of other things and none of them work.  Any suggestions
>>would be greatly appreciated!
>>
>>	-Dan Chernikoff
>>	{hplabs,sun,cmcl2,fortune}!sri-tsc!dan
>>	dan@sri-tsc

	I run a Public Access Xenix system in Chicago, and have mucked about
extensively with uucp.  I have both Hayes modems and UDS modems for dial in
and out.  The trick I found is to embed a ^M into the sequence using the
^V mode of vi.  An example for a DCHAYES is:

wlcrjs Any com1 1200 com1 x-ATDT5551212^M-login:-^M-login: uucp ssword: foo

the 'x-' fools uucico into expecting an 'x' and when it doesn't find it, it
sends the Hayes dial string. The multiple -login:-^M's act as a delay till
the other system answers.
	This works on a Altos 586 running System III, Version 7, a IBM PC
running Venix86 and a Sritek add on 68000 board (With the *WORST* version of
Xenix I have ever seen)

If *only* I had known...
Randy Suess
Chi-Net - Public Access UN*X
(312) 545 7535 (h) (312) 283 0559 (system)
{ihnp4|ihldt}!wlcrjs!randy

guy@rlgvax.UUCP (Guy Harris) (11/30/84)

> Don't have xenix here but...
>
> At one point I was trying to dial a modem through expect send sequences in
> L.sys ( on v7 I think) and needed to send a CR .  The only way I found to do
> this was to actually put an honest to goodness physical CR on the line.
>
> There are several ways to do this...
> This will work on any v7 based system that I am aware of. (And a quick look
> at the sys5 man page leads me to think it will work there too).

System V doesn't have to.  It supports a subset of the special escape
sequences that the 4.2BSD UUCP supports (or the 4.2BSD UUCP supports a
superset of System V, take your pick), so you can just put in \r\c (\r for
the CR, \c to suppress the LF at the end).

	Guy Harris
	{seismo,ihnp4,allegra}!rlgvax!guy

geoff@desint.UUCP (Geoff Kuenning) (12/02/84)

In article <426@wlcrjs.UUCP> randy@wlcrjs.UUCP (Randy Suess) writes:

> The trick I found is to embed a ^M into the sequence using the
>^V mode of vi.  An example for a DCHAYES is:
>
>wlcrjs Any com1 1200 com1 x-ATDT5551212^M-login:-^M-login: uucp ssword: foo
>
>the 'x-' fools uucico into expecting an 'x' and when it doesn't find it, it
>sends the Hayes dial string. The multiple -login:-^M's act as a delay till
>the other system answers.

Thank you, Randy.  You just helped me remember how I solved this problem with
a Vadic modem.  Try this one:

wlcrjs Any com1 1200 com1 "" ATDT5551212^M-login:--login: uucp ssword: foo

The double dash means "send nothing", and it works really well in my version
of uucp.  I looked at the code once, and it just falls naturally out of the
way it's written.  You can delay as long as you want with this technique.
--

	Geoff Kuenning
	...!ihnp4!trwrb!desint!geoff