[net.news.group] Create net.cim Group

aaa@ho95b.UUCP (Wale) (02/06/85)

	I propose that a group called net.cim be created.
				      =======

To start, I would like us to discuss issues related to Computer Aided Design, Computer
Aided Manufacturing, and Computer Integrated  Manufacturing. For example, how are the
Japanese doing factory automation today? Are we going in the right direction with
MAP in the United States? Any advantage of connection oriented protocols to
connection-less orinted protocols for factory automation?

Wale Akinpelu
{ihnp4,houxm,allegra}ho95b!aaa
AT&T Bell Labs
HO 4K-201 x6036

stevel@haddock.UUCP (02/09/85)

How about calling it net.cadcam instead. I think it would then be
obvious to everybody what the group is about.

Steve Ludlum, decvax!yale-co!ima!stevel, {amd|ihnp4!cbosgd}!ima!stevel
Interactive Systems, 7th floor, 441 Stuart st, Boston, MA 02116; 617-247-1155

thomas@utah-gr.UUCP (Spencer W. Thomas) (02/10/85)

In article <344@haddock.UUCP> stevel@haddock.UUCP writes:
>How about calling it net.cadcam instead. I think it would then be
>obvious to everybody what the group is about.

(-: Semi-facetious remark follows :-) You apparently don't understand
the background of the term "CIM".  See, the problem is that CAD/CAM has
been around so long without producing any useful results that companies
working in the area found it necessary to make up a new buzzword, to
indicate that they were working on new and better problems, and to get
away from the "useless" CAD/CAM image.  You can only promise something
for so long without delivering before people start getting restless.
But if you promise something NEW, you can start the cycle over.

--
=Spencer
	({ihnp4,decvax}!utah-cs!thomas, thomas@utah-cs.ARPA)

david@daisy.UUCP (David Schachter) (02/21/85)

To the chap who suggested "net.cadcam" instead of "net.cim":

"net.cadcam"?  Oh no you don't!  "net.cadcamcae".  (Yucch.)  How about
"net.ca_star"? Or "net.cax"?  CIM is more than just CAD/CAM now!  (And
Anita Bryant isn't just for breakfast anymore.)  Anyway, I'd rather have
"net.cim" than "net.cadcam": the latter is incomplete.

I have a professional interest in this: Daisy Systems is a vendor of CAE
workstations for electronic engineers.

(The opinions herein are actually random line noise.) {Stamp out
A.C.R.O.N.Y.M.S.}

In article <1339@utah-gr.UUCP> thomas@utah-gr.UUCP (Spencer W. Thomas) writes:

>(-: Semi-facetious remark follows :-) You apparently don't understand
>the background of the term "CIM".  See, the problem is that CAD/CAM has
>been around so long without producing any useful results that companies
>working in the area found it necessary to make up a new buzzword, to
>indicate that they were working on new and better problems, and to get
>away from the "useless" CAD/CAM image.  You can only promise something
>for so long without delivering before people start getting restless.
>But if you promise something NEW, you can start the cycle over.

Hmmmm.  >Our< customers seem quite happy.  Perhaps you're using one of our
competitor's offerings?

(Generic disclaimer.) {N.F.Q.}