[net.news.group] why multiple newsgroup entries in .newsrc?

fred@mot.UUCP (Fred Christiansen) (02/18/85)

[]
Several of us at this site are curious about this one:  One's .newsrc
file often contains multiple entries for a particular newsgroup.
For instance, my .newsrc has about 20 entries for net.tv.soaps and
net.games.football.  Close behind are net.tv.drwho and net.games.baseball.
Why is this?
	Also, the multiple entries aren't always in synch.  For instance,
I seem to have 3 entries for net.news.group, only two of which are in
synch (they also happen to be wrong; the 3rd one is right).  Any reason
for this anomoly (sp?) ??
	Perhaps this is a known curiousity, but we are unaware, being on
the net for only about 6 months.
"Should any of your I.M. Forces be caught or killed, the secretary will disavow
 any knowledge of your actions.  This tape will self-destruct in five seconds."
<< Replace this line with your favorite disclaimer.>>
Fred Christiansen, Networking Software, Motorola Microsystems, Tempe, AZ  85282
{allegra,ihnp4}!sftig!mot!fred         {ihnp4,seismo}!ut-sally!oakhill!mot!fred
{ihnp4,amdahl}!drivax!mot!fred                   ucbvax!arizona!asuvax!mot!fred

fred@mot.UUCP (Fred Christiansen) (02/19/85)

[]
If I had only looked at readnews.c first!
	/usr/lib/news/active is the template and ours was jumbled.  it has been
corrected with no evident problems.

ben@moncol.UUCP (Bennett Broder) (02/21/85)

>Several of us at this site are curious about this one:  One's .newsrc
>file often contains multiple entries for a particular newsgroup.
>For instance, my .newsrc has about 20 entries for net.tv.soaps and
>net.games.football.  Close behind are net.tv.drwho and net.games.baseball.
>Why is this?

The problem is your site's 'active' file.  Each time readnews is run,
your .newsrc file is made to look like (same newsgroups, same order)
the active file.  { The active file keeps track of what articles are
present at your site }  Have your system administrator go through his
active file and delete inappropriate entries.  Next time you readnews,
your .newsrc will be fixed as well.

                                   Ben Broder
                                   ..vax135!petsd!moncol!ben
                                   ..princeton!moncol!ben

david@ukma.UUCP (David Herron, NPR Lover) (02/22/85)

In article <192@moncol.UUCP> ben@moncol.UUCP (Bennett Broder) writes:
>>Several of us at this site are curious about this one:  One's .newsrc
>>file often contains multiple entries for a particular newsgroup.
>>For instance, my .newsrc has about 20 entries for net.tv.soaps and
>>net.games.football.  Close behind are net.tv.drwho and net.games.baseball.
>>Why is this?
>The problem is your site's 'active' file.  Each time readnews is run,
>your .newsrc file is made to look like (same newsgroups, same order)
>the active file.  { The active file keeps track of what articles are
>present at your site }  Have your system administrator go through his
>active file and delete inappropriate entries.  Next time you readnews,
>your .newsrc will be fixed as well.

Ok.  I've seen this problem here.  (We run 2.10.1, as it comes out of
the box, no bug fixes/etc.)  I looked through the code and could not
figure out *why* any duplicate entries would get into the active
file in the first place.  Can someone tell me that???

--
-:-David Herron;