[net.bugs.uucp] 4.3 UUCP message: "You are unknown to me" prevents connection

ken@turtlevax.UUCP (Ken Turkowski) (09/26/85)

Does anybody know why another site's 4.3BSD uucp won't let me log on,
and instead returns the message, "You are unknown to me"?  How can this
be fixed?  Does it have anything to do with turtlevax's longer-than 7
or 8 character name?

--
Ken Turkowski @ CADLINC, Menlo Park, CA
UUCP: {amd,decwrl,hplabs,seismo,spar}!turtlevax!ken

csg@pyramid.UUCP (Carl S. Gutekunst) (09/27/85)

In article <911@turtlevax.UUCP> ken@turtlevax.UUCP (Ken Turkowski) writes:
>Does anybody know why another site's 4.3BSD uucp won't let me log on,
>and instead returns the message, "You are unknown to me"?  How can this
>be fixed?  Does it have anything to do with turtlevax's longer-than 7
>or 8 character name?

4.3BSD UUCP has a compile option (named NOSTRANGERS in uucp.h) to verify
that a connecting site is listed in L.sys. If it is not, you get the
"You are unknown to me" message.

4.3 UUCP also uses the entire host name (well, the first 14 characters
anyway). If turtlevax identifies itself as "turtlev", then the remote site
will reject the connection even though "turtlevax" is in the L.sys file,
because it doesn't know who "turtlev" is.

Solution:

	1) Make sure turtlevax is in the remote site's L.sys.

	2) Use the new aliasing facility (L.aliases) to map "turtlev" to
	   "turtlevax" on the remote site,

		or

	   Get turtlevax to identify itself with the full hostname.
--
      -m-------   Carl S. Gutekunst, Software R&D, Pyramid Technology Corp.
    ---mmm-----   P.O. Box 7925    {allegra,decwrl,dual,nsc,sun}\

clewis@mnetor.UUCP (Chris Lewis) (09/28/85)

In article <911@turtlevax.UUCP> ken@turtlevax.UUCP (Ken Turkowski) writes:
>Does anybody know why another site's 4.3BSD uucp won't let me log on,
>and instead returns the message, "You are unknown to me"?  How can this
>be fixed?  Does it have anything to do with turtlevax's longer-than 7
>or 8 character name?

Does the other site have the name of your site in it's L.sys?
if not:
	4.3 UUCP has a define (NOSTRANGERS), causing uucico, when compiled
	    with the defaults, to not accept calls from systems that
	    aren't in its L.sys file.  When I installed our (semi) 4.3
	    UUCP, I explicitly turned this "feature" off, though, now
	    that I've mentioned it publically, maybe I'd better turn it
	    back on! (:-)).
if it does:
	Maybe it's the longer-than 7 or 8 problem, depending on what
	your system is.  We are running a version of 4.3 UUCP, and
	we have a 4.1 site with a 8 character name calling us without
	trouble.  Though, it's name gets truncated to 7 in the logs.
	We didn't have any trouble with them with us a 4.2 UUCP either.
	It could be that the NOSTRANGERS code plus a 7/8 bug causes
	the problem.  If their site does have NOSTRANGERS on, AND
	you are in their L.sys, maybe they should try with NOSTRANGERS off.

Good luck!

(Boy do I like 4.3 UUCP, though I wish it was a little smarter with
X.25 PADS!)
--
Chris Lewis,
UUCP: {allegra, linus, ihnp4}!utzoo!mnetor!clewis

simsong@mit-amt.MIT.EDU (Simson Garfinkel) (09/29/85)

In article <911@turtlevax.UUCP>, ken@turtlevax.UUCP (Ken Turkowski) writes:
> Does anybody know why another site's 4.3BSD uucp won't let me log on,
> and instead returns the message, "You are unknown to me"?  How can this
> be fixed?  Does it have anything to do with turtlevax's longer-than 7
> or 8 character name?
>
> --
> Ken Turkowski @ CADLINC, Menlo Park, CA
> UUCP: {amd,decwrl,hplabs,seismo,spar}!turtlevax!ken
> ARPA: turtlevax!ken@DECWRL.ARPA

We ran into this problem when we recompiled the 4.3 uucp software to use
the newly-fangled domain software. The problem is in the "cico.c" module
of the UUCP software. It makes the assumption that it is possible to
translate from an internet number to a hostname. This opperation is
possible if you have a hosttable, but it is not possible if you are
using nameservers. Going the other way is possible, but may give
problems with computers that have multiple internet numbers.

What we finally did was comment out the entire block of code that begins
with the following if statement:

	/* we must make sure they are really who they say they
	 * are. We compare the hostnumber with the number in the hosts
         * table for the site they claim to be.
	 */
	if (IsTcpIp) {

		/* bogous code follows */

The problem is that the logic of the program didn't work. We decided to
delete all of this "security" checking, anyway, since you wouldn't
normally get it over phone lines.... If people want "secure" mail, and
they are coming over the Internet, then they can use smtp.

Ever since we deleted the code, we have had no problems.

			Simson L. Garfinkel
			MEDIA-LAB.MIT.EDU

usenet@ucbvax.ARPA (USENET News Administration) (09/30/85)

In article <32@pyramid.UUCP> csg@pyramid.UUCP (Carl S. Gutekunst) writes:

>4.3 UUCP also uses the entire host name (well, the first 14 characters
>anyway). If turtlevax identifies itself as "turtlev", then the remote site
>will reject the connection even though "turtlevax" is in the L.sys file,
>because it doesn't know who "turtlev" is.
>
>Solution:
>
>	1) Make sure turtlevax is in the remote site's L.sys.
>
>	2) Use the new aliasing facility (L.aliases) to map "turtlev" to
>	   "turtlevax" on the remote site,
>
>		or
>
>	   Get turtlevax to identify itself with the full hostname.

The last `solution' listed will prevent turtlevax from speaking to any
System III or System V UNIX system in the world.  You see, they all have
this array:

	char	Rmtname[SYSNAME];	/* approximately; from memory */

where SYSNAME is defined to be 8. Guess what happens when you stuff 14
characters in there?

	``C knows no bounds'' - Jeff Anton <ucbvax!anton>

	Erik E. Fair	ucbvax!fair	fair@ucbarpa.BERKELEY.EDU

csg@pyramid.UUCP (Carl S. Gutekunst) (10/01/85)

In article <10491@ucbvax.ARPA> fair@ucbvax.ARPA (Erik E. Fair) writes:
>In article <32@pyramid.UUCP> csg@pyramid.UUCP (Carl S. Gutekunst) writes:
>>Solution:
>>		or
>>
>>	   Get turtlevax to identify itself with the full hostname.
>
>The last `solution' listed will prevent turtlevax from speaking to any
>System III or System V UNIX system in the world.  You see, they all have
>this array:
>
>	char	Rmtname[SYSNAME];	/* approximately; from memory */
>
>where SYSNAME is defined to be 8. Guess what happens when you stuff 14
>characters in there?

I trust Erik, and he's one person I really don't want to contradict, but this
is simply not true. Every 4.2 system we talk to already does identify itself
with it's full name. From the 4.3 uucp README file, by Rick Adams:

+----------
|The maximum length of a site name has been changed from the old 7 to the
|14. This is the be compatible with the HoneyDanBer uucp (aka BNU 1) which
|is as close to a standard uucp as there is. Sites which have sitenames
|longer than 7 characters that only send you the first 7 characters are
|broken and should be fixed.
+----------

AT&T uucico does not have a problem with this, since it always uses sprintf
to load values into Rmtname, as in:

		sprintf(Rmtname, "%.6s", q);
--

ken@turtlevax.UUCP (Ken Turkowski) (10/02/85)

In article <2281@mnetor.UUCP> clewis@mnetor.UUCP (Chris Lewis) writes:
>In article <911@turtlevax.UUCP> ken@turtlevax.UUCP (Ken Turkowski) writes:
>>Does anybody know why another site's 4.3BSD uucp won't let me log on,
>>and instead returns the message, "You are unknown to me"?  How can this
>>be fixed?  Does it have anything to do with turtlevax's longer-than 7
>>or 8 character name?

Thanks to nsc!chuqui, mordor!jdb, and sdcsvax!brian for working with me
to get the communication problem resolved.  The final fix was:

turtlevax	in L.sys
turtlev		in L.aliases

--
Ken Turkowski @ CADLINC, Menlo Park, CA
UUCP: {amd,decwrl,hplabs,seismo,spar}!turtlevax!ken
ARPA: turtlevax!ken@DECWRL.ARPA

sob@neuro1.UUCP (Stan Barber) (10/03/85)

Two possibilities spring to mind:

1) You are not listed in the receiving systems L.sys file and uucp
was made with the NOSTRANGERS option turned on.

2) Your uucp may send the hostname as turtlev or something shorter than
the full name and the receiving site does not have that set as a valid
alias in the L.alias file.

Both require action at the receiving site, or you can recompile your
uucp such that you send the complete name in the imsg.
(See uucpname.c and cico.c for the places to change the code.)

As far as I know, nothing with be broken if you send the full name
to any uucp.... those that like it to be shorter will truncate it
themselves.

--
Stan		uucp:{ihnp4!shell,rice}!neuro1!sob     Opinions expressed
Olan		ARPA:sob@rice.arpa		       here are ONLY mine &

rick@seismo.CSS.GOV (Rick Adams) (10/03/85)

Funny, seismo is running the newest 4.3 uucp and the name server
with no problems. You probably have a broken name server if
you can't do gethostbyaddr().

---rick