[net.news.group] Response to Laura on appropriateness of newsgroups

[Laura Creighton]

>> The problem is that there are 2 groups of people that I know about who are
>> not enjoying it. The first group are the Christians who want a nice forum
>> to discuss Christianity with the implicit assumption that Christianity
>> is true.

[Rich Rosen replys]

>Anybody who thinks that they can control and determine what gets said (and by
>whom) in a particular newsgroup is in for a surprise.  Look at net.singles!
>How many people who contribute are actually single?  How many of the articles
>contain anything related to "being single"?  Face it, net.singles is the REAL
>net.social (AND net.love/sex AND net.personal_affairs), with "net.social"
>practically starving by comparison.  People choose the newsgroup(s) in which
>they post their articles based on whom they want to address, whom they wish
>to read the articles, which audience the article is intended for.  If I have
>a question to ask of people who own Volkswagens, I'm going to ask it in
>net.auto.vw (if such a thing still exists).  If it doesn't, I'll post it to
>net.auto proper.  If I have a question to ask of religious believers, that's
>what net.religion WAS for.  If I have a point to make and a further question
>to ask on something Jeff Sargent has said in net.religion.christian, I'm
>liable to follow it up in that same newsgroup.  Whether Steve Hutchison
>calls it impolite or not...

I can only take this to mean that Rich Rosen fully intends to thumb his nose
at whatever the stated purpose of this group is; since it provides him with a
convenient captive audience of Christians to rant and rave at, he intends to
continue posting to it.

[More Rich R.]

>As Charlie [Charley] Wingate had already mentioned,
>there is a *private* forum, a mailing list, for private discussions amongst
>Christians.  But net.religion.christian is a *public* forum.
>Like net.women.only turned out to be.  (That's one of the reasons there's a
>feminist mailing list as well.)

What a moral argument: "because other people trashed net.women.only, that
gives me license to trash net.religion.christian."

As a member of the not-very-famous mailing list, let me say that I think it
has one very serious deficiency: it's hard to get on the list.  Obviously,
there is a good reason for this, as it prevents the list from being trashed
by hostile anti-christian diatribe.  On the other hand, this doesn't tend
to encourage new blood (us anglicans gotta eat sometimes, you know :-)).
As a public forum, this group affords the very real advantage of a larger
audience.  What I and many others find very tedious is to start a reasonable
discussion, only to have it seized upon by the Christoclasts who roam the
group in search of new battlefields for their anti-religious diatribes.

(By the way; send applications to the mailing list to:

         {seismo!allegra}!umcp-cs!mailJC-request
  or     mailJC-request@maryland.ARPA)

Charley Wingate    umcp-cs!mangoe