[net.bugs.uucp] using USR Password modems for dialing in/out

dave@uwvax.UUCP (Dave Cohrs) (12/23/85)

Well, I have once again been confused by uucp.  After I got a couple
letters with suggestions (thanks!), I went back and tried acucntrl
again.  Lo and behold, it worked.  I mistakenly assumed that things
weren't working when I couldn't get 'tip' to work (I am working with
a 4.3beta system, a US Robotics Password on a DH).  However, dialing
still didn't work.  I seems that the Password isn't completely Hayes
compatable.  When it receives a <CR>, you have to wait a bit before
sending it something else.  I remembered this because I have the same
problem with my Password at home.  Anyway, in 'hys.c', when it sends
the phone number, it sends a "\rATDT" (or "P").  The phone number gets
lost so the dial fails.  I took out the superfluous <CR> and it worked.

--
Dave Cohrs
(608) 262-1204

pete@octopus.UUCP (Pete Holzmann) (01/06/86)

In article <481@uwvax.UUCP> dave@uwvax.UUCP (Dave Cohrs) writes:
>...  It seems that the Password isn't completely Hayes
>compatable.  When it receives a <CR>, you have to wait a bit before
>sending it something else.  I remembered this because I have the same
>problem with my Password at home.  Anyway, in 'hys.c', when it sends
>the phone number, it sends a "\rATDT" (or "P").  The phone number gets
>lost so the dial fails.  I took out the superfluous <CR> and it worked.

I guess this is more common than I thought. We couldn't get tip to work
on an Anchor Automation Signalman Mk XII for the same reason. If only
we had source to remove the problem from the software :-).

A couple of notes about this type of problem:
	- uucp dials without the extra <cr> and hence has no trouble
	- the problem doesn't exist on other modems by the same mfg's
		(USR Courier 2400 works just fine, as do the newer
		Signalman modems)

--
  OOO   __| ___      Peter Holzmann, Octopus Enterprises
 OOOOOOO___/ _______ USPS: 19611 La Mar Court, Cupertino, CA 95014