[net.bugs.uucp] Adding hushlogin to system V

ronc@fai.UUCP (Ronald O. Christian) (02/13/86)

A trivial fix for system V users that don't have the
'.hushlogin' feature.

Briefly, there are cases where the message of the day will
screw up uucp transfers.  I'm not really sure whether this
is due to escape codes present (for standout mode, etc.) or
due to particular groups of words in the MOTD.  On BSD systems
at least, if you put a .hushlogin in uucp's home directory,
you supress the message of the day, and the problem goes away.
(The code is in login.c.)

On sysV systems, (at least on ours) there is no such feature.
You can, however add the feature, even if you've only got
a binary license.  Edit the shell script /etc/profile, and
replace the motd and mail notification with the following code
(right after the case (-sh | -rsh) statement):

	trap : 1 2 3
	if test -f $HOME/.hushlogin
	then
		break
	else
		cat /etc/motd
		trap "" 1 2 3
		if mail -e
		then echo "you have mail"
		fi
		if [ $LOGNAME != root ]
		then
			news -n
		fi
	fi
	;;

Notice that this also supresses the 'you have mail' message.
There might be a more elegent way to do this. For instance,
there *must* be a better way to reverse the sense of the test
than to use 'break', but the above works here.  I'm satisfied.
Hope this helps someone.

			Ron
		Ronald O. Christian (Fujitsu America Inc., San Jose, Calif.)
		ihnp4!pesnta!fai!ronc

Oliver's law of assumed responsibility:
	"If you are seen fixing it, you will be blamed for breaking it."

jrw@hropus.UUCP (Jim Webb) (02/17/86)

> A trivial fix for system V users that don't have the
> '.hushlogin' feature.
>
> Briefly, there are cases where the message of the day will
> screw up uucp transfers.
>
> 		Ronald O. Christian (Fujitsu America Inc., San Jose, Calif.)
> 		ihnp4!pesnta!fai!ronc

SAY WHAT?  I didn't think /etc/profile was EVER run by /usr/lib/uucp/uucico
under System V...
--
Jim Webb                                        ihnp4!houxm!hropus!jrw

wescott@sauron.UUCP (Michael Wescott) (02/18/86)

In article <73@fai.UUCP> ronc@fai.UUCP (Ronald O. Christian) writes:

>A trivial fix for system V users that don't have the
>'.hushlogin' feature.
>
>Briefly, there are cases where the message of the day will
>screw up uucp transfers.  I'm not really sure whether this
>is due to escape codes present (for standout mode, etc.) or
>due to particular groups of words in the MOTD.  On BSD systems
>at least, if you put a .hushlogin in uucp's home directory,
>you supress the message of the day, and the problem goes away.
>(The code is in login.c.)
>
>On sysV systems, (at least on ours) there is no such feature.

On sysV systems, (at least ours) there is no need for such a
feature, at least not for uucp.  As shown by the original posting
/etc/motd et. al. are handled in /etc/profile.  And /etc/profile
is executed by /bin/sh when first invoked, not by login.
So uucp logging in will not get any garbage from /etc/motd
since the "shell" is /usr/lib/uucp/uucico.

Now for ordinary users to inhibit the /etc/motd garbage the changes
work OK.

	-Mike Wescott
	ncrcae!wescott

paul@whuxp.UUCP (HO) (02/19/86)

> > A trivial fix for system V users that don't have the
> > '.hushlogin' feature.
> >
> > Briefly, there are cases where the message of the day will
> > screw up uucp transfers.
> >

> SAY WHAT?  I didn't think /etc/profile was EVER run by /usr/lib/uucp/uucico
> under System V...
> --
> Jim Webb                                        ihnp4!houxm!hropus!jrw

No kidding. Only the shell runs /etc/profile. Even if /etc/profile
was run, it would check "$0" to see if it is "sh" or "rsh" (or "ksh"),
and if so, then and only then would you get /etc/motd and mail
notification, etc.

	Paul Ho