[net.news.group] The Prisoner -> net.tv.pbs?

davidl@orca.UUCP (David Levine) (02/19/85)

There's been some discussion on both net.tv.drwho and net.news.group suggesting
a new net.tv.bbc for such esoterica as "The Prisoner."

Not that net.tv.bbc would be a bad idea for a group (although, if created,
it should probably swallow up net.tv.drwho).  However, I must insist that
net.tv.bbc is completely inappropriate for "The Prisoner."  "The Prisoner"
was an AMERICAN series.  The only thing it has in common with England
(never mind the BBC) is that Patrick McGoohan was the creator/star, and
he's got an accent.  (British?  Welsh?  Scottish?)  The fact that "The
Prisoner" is shown on PBS may confuse certain viewers who believe that
anything that's any good on PBS (or, in fact, on any American network) must
be British.

I also think a net.tv.prisoner would be too limited, and would die a quick
death once the current spate of new "Prisoner" viewers had seen the whole
series.

Therefore I propose net.tv.pbs, for discussion of "The Prisoner," "Nova," PBS
fund drives, "The Nature of Things," "This Old House," etc.  I've seen plenty
of discussion of "The Prisoner" and PBS fund drives on net.tv.drwho that would
move over to a net.tv.pbs quite nicely, although maybe not enough to justify an
entire new group.

Followup discussion (if any) in net.news.group, please.

David D. Levine  (...decvax!tektronix!orca!davidl)          [UUCP]
                 (orca!davidl.tektronix@csnet-relay.csnet)  [ARPA]

jiml@pesnta.UUCP (Jim Livingston) (02/23/85)

> There's been some discussion on both net.tv.drwho and net.news.group suggesting
> a new net.tv.bbc for such esoterica as "The Prisoner."
>
> Not that net.tv.bbc would be a bad idea for a group (although, if created,
> it should probably swallow up net.tv.drwho).  However, I must insist that
> net.tv.bbc is completely inappropriate for "The Prisoner."  "The Prisoner"
> was an AMERICAN series.  The only thing it has in common with England
> (never mind the BBC) is that Patrick McGoohan was the creator/star, and
> he's got an accent.  (British?  Welsh?  Scottish?)  The fact that "The
> Prisoner" is shown on PBS may confuse certain viewers who believe that
> anything that's any good on PBS (or, in fact, on any American network) must
> be British.
>
> I also think a net.tv.prisoner would be too limited, and would die a quick
> death once the current spate of new "Prisoner" viewers had seen the whole
> series.
>
> Therefore I propose net.tv.pbs, for discussion of "The Prisoner," "Nova," PBS
> fund drives, "The Nature of Things," "This Old House," etc.  I've seen plenty
> of discussion of "The Prisoner" and PBS fund drives on net.tv.drwho that would
> move over to a net.tv.pbs quite nicely, although maybe not enough to justify an
> entire new group.
>
> Followup discussion (if any) in net.news.group, please.
>
> David D. Levine  (...decvax!tektronix!orca!davidl)          [UUCP]
>                  (orca!davidl.tektronix@csnet-relay.csnet)  [ARPA]

I think net.tv.pbs is an excellent idea. I watch pbs AND commercial tv
but I don't subscribe to net.tv.

net.tv.pbs is simply more logical than net.tv.prisoner or whatever.

chuqui@nsc.UUCP (The Phantom) (02/25/85)

A while back I did a reader survey of net.singles, among the questions was
one on TV. There is a significant subsection of the people out there who
ARE very interested in PBS, and net.tv.pbs is a general purpose enough
topic to keep it active (I hope). Unless I hear some major screams, soon,
I plan on creating it-- it looks at least as reasonable as a lot of groups
that already exist.

We might consider moving net.tv.drwho into net.tv.pbs later, but the
volumes I've seen show that it probably deserves to stay separate.

chuq
--
From behind the eight ball:                       Chuq Von Rospach
{cbosgd,fortune,hplabs,ihnp4,seismo}!nsc!chuqui   nsc!chuqui@decwrl.ARPA

We'll be recording at the Paradise Friday night. Live, on the Death label.

percus@acf4.UUCP (Allon G. Percus) (02/27/85)

I hate to say it, but as I have been told in the many comments/
flames/suggestions/complaints concerning my suggestion for the
creation of net.tv.bbc, THE PRISONER is neither a BBC production,
nor a PBS show.
--- - --- ----

I don't mean to flame, but if you want something for "The Prisoner,"
it would be good if you could try and think of another name.

(I thought of net.tv.british, but that would exclude many
popular American PBS shows)
                                         A. G. Percus
                                  (ARPA) percus@acf4
                                   (NYU) percus.acf4
                                  (UUCP) ...!ihnp4!cmcl2!acf4!percus

arnold@ucsfcgl.UUCP (Ken Arnold%CGL) (03/01/85)

In article <1200008@acf4.UUCP> percus@acf4.UUCP (Allon G. Percus) writes:
>I hate to say it, but as I have been told in the many comments/
>flames/suggestions/complaints concerning my suggestion for the
>creation of net.tv.bbc, THE PRISONER is neither a BBC production,
>nor a PBS show.
>--- - --- ----

This is rather excessively legalistic.  The Prisoner was not created
for PBS, but that is where it is currently shown.  I have never seen it
on a commercial station.  So, since that is where it is being SHOWN, it
is reasonable to discuss it in (a hypothetical and hopefuly soon real)
net.tv.pbs.  Many PBS shows were originally not made for them, but are
only seen in the US on PBS.  Maybe us.tv.pbs?  Nah...
--

		Ken Arnold
Of COURSE we can implement your algorithm.  We've got this Turing

percus@acf4.UUCP (Allon G. Percus) (03/05/85)

> This is rather excessively legalistic.  The Prisoner was not created
> for PBS, but that is where it is currently shown.  I have never seen it
> on a commercial station.  So, since that is where it is being SHOWN, it
> is reasonable to discuss it in (a hypothetical and hopefuly soon real)
> net.tv.pbs.  Many PBS shows were originally not made for them, but are
> only seen in the US on PBS.  Maybe us.tv.pbs?  Nah...

Awright, awright, I get the picture.

[But I was just trying to help...]

Go ahead and create net.tv.pbs, Chuq.
                                         A. G. Percus
                                  (ARPA) percus@acf4
                                   (NYU) percus.acf4
                                  (UUCP) ...!ihnp4!cmcl2!acf4!percus

leif@erisun.UUCP (Leif Samuelsson) (03/05/85)

I don't think we really need a world-wide newsgroup for
american public television. I doubt that many people outside
of the U.S. even know what PBS stands for. We do, however,
watch a great deal of british and american made TV shows,
and I suggest we stick to net.tv.british and net.tv.american.

We might even want a net.tv.swedish where we can discuss the
5-hour TV version of Bergman's Fanny and Alexander and the new
series about the life of Strindberg :-)

Anything of more local interest should go to the local networks,
like usa.tv.pbs, china.tv, etcetera. Discussions about the Sky Channel,
which is viewed over most of Europe, should probably go to eunet.tv.sky.

Leif Samuelsson

..mcvax!enea!erix!erisun!leif