[rec.railroad] Expert Systems in the Railroad Industry.

lagache@violet.berkeley.edu (Edouard Lagache) (04/17/88)

          I attended a lecture by Hubert Dreyfus on the problems in
     Artificial Intelligence, and he mentioned that he was aware of only 2
     Expert systems that work as well or better than the human experts that
     they were based on.  What does this have to do with trains?  Well, one
     of the systems (called ALPS) is designed to optimally load a cargo
     planes, which is a problem that looks isomorphic with the problem of

          That raises an interesting question for those interested in
     computers and trains: what sort of expert systems have developed for
     the railroad industry?  It seems to me that there are a number of
     promising areas:

     1.)  Scheduling.

     2.)  Optimal switching moves and train assembly.

     3.)  Cargo routing and loading.

     4.)  Equipment Maintenance.

          Does anyone know of what work (if any) has been done by railroads
     or A.I. outfits in this area?  Interestingly enough, Dreyfus would
     probably claim that the first 3 areas would be very promising domains
     for expert systems.

                                             Edouard Lagache
                                             School of Education
                                             U.C. Berkeley
                                             lagache@violet.berkeley.edu

     P.S. I has posted this to both 'rec.railroad', and 'comp.ai'.  Please
          don't reply to both groups unless it is truly of general interest.

jaw@mtgzy.UUCP (XMRN60000[bsm]-j.a.welsh) (04/19/88)

>      What sort of expert systems have developed for the railroad
>      industry?

Strangely enough, the one that I know of is a General Electric locomotive
maintenance expert system.  It was mentioned in a computer magazine and
one of the railfanning mags. last year.

tony_mak_makonnen@cup.portal.com (04/20/88)

>      What sort of expert systems have developed for the railroad
>      industry?

Strangely enough, the one that I know of is a General Electric locomotive
maintenance expert system.  It was mentioned in a computer magazine and
one of the railfanning mags. last year.
yes and it was finally coded in Forth.

welty@steinmetz.ge.com (richard welty) (04/21/88)

In article <4643@cup.portal.com> tony_mak_makonnen@cup.portal.com writes:
>Strangely enough, the one that I know of is a General Electric locomotive
>maintenance expert system.  It was mentioned in a computer magazine and
>one of the railfanning mags. last year.
>yes and it was finally coded in Forth.

It was written here at GE R&D, a few years back, for use on GE locomotives
(in a group that was a precursor to the AI program that I work in now.
I was not involved in the project itself, which was completed long
before I joined the program).

Reportedly, it has had good success in speeding up diagnosis of problems
in locomotives in the field.
--
Richard Welty               Phone H: 518-237-6307  W: 518-387-6346
    welty@ge-crd.ARPA       {rochester,philabs,uunet}!steinmetz!welty