[rec.games.board] Fire-Brigade - anyone played it?

carlton@apollo.HP.COM (Carlton B. Hommel) (08/09/90)

I've played Might & Magic, a FRP game.  Now, I want to sink my teeth
into a strategic game, like the SPI or Avalon Hill games my children
(and cats) keep me from playing.  I didn't like "The Ancient Art of
War" - I didn't feel I had enough control over the units, and the
visual interface was muddy.  I tried "Sands of Fire" - a nice
similation of WWII tank combat, but too much of an arcade flavor for my
tastes.

Then, I saw this neat ad on the back cover of S&T #134.  "WINNER", the
banner proclaims.  Fire-Brigade has won awards and gotten favorable
reviews from wargaming magazines, as well as computer rags.  Great
Macintosh color graphics; the map has square counters, just like a
"real" wargame.

The ad says it is available for the Mac, IBM, Amiga, and ST, from
Panther Games.  1-800-888-9273.  Should I spend $50-60?

Are there any worthwhile computer implementations of board games?

Carl Hommel
carlton@apollo.hp.com

cbn@mace.cc.purdue.edu (Robert S. Unoki) (08/09/90)

In article <4c166c09.20b6d@apollo.HP.COM>, carlton@apollo.HP.COM (Carlton B. Hommel) writes:
> I've played Might & Magic, a FRP game.  Now, I want to sink my teeth
> into a strategic game, like the SPI or Avalon Hill games my children
> (and cats) keep me from playing.  I didn't like "The Ancient Art of
> War" - I didn't feel I had enough control over the units, and the
> visual interface was muddy.  I tried "Sands of Fire" - a nice
> similation of WWII tank combat, but too much of an arcade flavor for my
> tastes.

> Are there any worthwhile computer implementations of board games?
>
> Carl Hommel
> carlton@apollo.hp.com

Strategic Studies Group (SSG) has a pair of excellent military simulators.
Halls of Montezuma simulates Marine Amphibious action and Panzer Battles
portrays WWII armored action on the eastern front.  Both simulations retain the
feel of a boardgame while the Mac does all of the bookkeeping.  There is no
indivdual control of units.  Instead, divisional actions are assigned and the
computer conducts all movement.

Rob Unoki
cbn@mace.cc.purdue.edu
--