[net.news.group] net.tv.pbs <-- starting over

chuqui@nsc.UUCP (The Phantom) (03/04/85)

It turns out I WON'T be creating net.tv.pbs-- our dear neighbors across the
great pond in Europe have nicely pointed out that pbs means absolutely
nothing to them. Chalk another one up for forgetting how widely spread our
data is.

I STILL don't like net.tv.british, since I think it is too limiting--
anyone have a better idea that also includes the rest of the world?

sigh

chuq
--
From behind the eight ball:                       Chuq Von Rospach
{cbosgd,fortune,hplabs,ihnp4,seismo}!nsc!chuqui   nsc!chuqui@decwrl.ARPA

We'll be recording at the Paradise Friday night. Live, on the Death label.

cs2532aa@unm-cvax.UUCP (03/07/85)

> From: chuqui@nsc.UUCP (The Phantom)
>
> It turns out I WON'T be creating net.tv.pbs-- our dear neighbors across the
> great pond in Europe have nicely pointed out that pbs means absolutely
> nothing to them. Chalk another one up for forgetting how widely spread our
> data is.
>
> I STILL don't like net.tv.british, since I think it is too limiting--
> anyone have a better idea that also includes the rest of the world?
>
> sigh
>
> chuq

C'mon, chuq, isn't having a "limiting" name like net.tv.british better than
not having the newsgroup at all?  If we dig up some name like 'tv.nonus'
or 'tv.public' or 'tv.noncommercial' then we'll be pushing the limit on
group name length, or even worse, we'll be confusing folks.

Just what kind of things were you thinking would be disussed in net.tv.pbs
that can't be discussed in net.tv.british?  I haven't seen much traffic
discussing THIS OLD HOUSE or NOVA in any of the groups . . . and besides,
virtually all of the non-informational pbs programming is of british origin,
and most discussions of factual shows would naturally fall into some other
newsgroup anyway . . . "The McLaughlin Group" would go into net.politics,
"Sneak Previews" into net.movies . . . etc . . . etc . . .

If there's going to be a new group, get it named and CREATE IT!  The traffic
is there, the newsgroup should be, too.

	Tiring of the runaround,

		.rne.

-----
Real World . . Ernie Longmire / 311 Don St. SE / Los Lunas, NM  87031-9405
UUCP . . . . . {{purdue,cmcl2,ihnp4}!lanl,ucbvax}!unmvax!unm-cvax!cs2532aa
-----
"Buy Whizzo Butter and go to . . . Heaven!"