[aus.mac] Mac IIcx

drew@anucsd.oz (Drew Corrigan) (03/17/89)

in article <851@tasis.utas.oz>, ben@tasis.utas.oz (Ben Lian) says:

> Could someone please give a rundown on the technical specs for the IIcx?
> Information is pretty scarce here in Australia at the moment.  Disregarding

This past Wednesday and Thursday I had the opportunity to visit the 1989
Apple Forums held at the Canberra Hyatt, Tuesday to Thursday. Most impressive!
(At least to someone who has never managed to get to a MacWorld Expo, sigh.)

The forums were a series of 1-hour seminars running from 9 to 5 in three
rooms. The seminars covered a wide range of areas, including Macs in a mixed
environment, Oracle on the Mac, Courseware, A/UX, music (and of course much
more).

Concurrent with the seminars were two or three "hands on" rooms with
space enough for perhaps 10-15 people. Each participant had a Mac IIcx with
colour monitor to follow through what the demonstrator was explaining.

Also concurrent with the seminars was a Product Expo with all the big names
in Mac software (Claris, Aldus, Acius, Microsoft, Oracle, etc.) showing their
latest and greatest. I think I saw about one or two regular SE's and maybe
a MacPlus. Nearly all the vendors were running SE/30's, IIx's or IIcx's. And
most were using big screen displays. Apple's new displays were on show too.

The professionalism of the entire thing was very high. The seminars (that I
attended) were generally of an excellent standard, with live demonstrations.
I hope this roadshow (its going to most capital cities - don't know about
Hobart - haven't got my pamphlet here at the moment) proves to be very good
for Apple sales over the coming year. (I say this as a Mac enthusiast of
course!)

So far as the Mac IIcx goes, it is a cut down version of the IIx, in that
its got 3-NuBus slots instead of 6. It has the same 68030/68882 chip set as
the IIx, 8 memory simm sockets, a ROM simm socket, and the standard IIx ports.
It has one superdrive and is available with either a 40 or 80 Mb internal
3 1/2 inch hard disk. At the A/UX seminar it was said that Apple will be
supporting A/UX on the IIcx (I don't know when though). Overall, the IIcx is
a compact, stylish and powerful Macintosh.

I don't have the full spec sheets or price list on me at the moment - but
since Apple already has the machine here today I would think that any dealer
ought to be able furnish you with the details.

> the 'totability' of the SE/30, it seems to me that the IIcx is somewhat
> better value for money.  Or is it?

I haven't done a close price/features comparison myself. I might look into
it and summarise.

Drew Corrigan.
--
Drew Corrigan
Department of Computer Science, Australian National University.

ksand@appleoz.oz.au ( A/UX Support) (03/19/89)

In article <951@anucsd.oz> drew@anucsd.oz (Drew Corrigan) writes:
>in article <851@tasis.utas.oz>, ben@tasis.utas.oz (Ben Lian) says:
>This past Wednesday and Thursday I had the opportunity to visit the 1989
>Apple Forums held at the Canberra Hyatt, Tuesday to Thursday. Most impressive!
>(At least to someone who has never managed to get to a MacWorld Expo, sigh.)
>
>The professionalism of the entire thing was very high. The seminars (that I
>attended) were generally of an excellent standard, with live demonstrations.

Thx, the guys here at the office will love this (they worked quite hard for
the show...).

>I hope this roadshow (its going to most capital cities - don't know about
>Hobart - haven't got my pamphlet here at the moment) proves to be very good
>for Apple sales over the coming year. (I say this as a Mac enthusiast of
>course!)

It's in Sydney next week, 20-23 March. Other cities that the roadshow will visit
are Melbourne, Brisbane, Adelaide and Perth. Sorry, not Hobart this time.

>> the 'totability' of the SE/30, it seems to me that the IIcx is somewhat
>> better value for money.  Or is it?

SE/30 and IIcx are two different concepts, SE/30 is a compact model, whereas
IIcx is a modular unit. Both are needed out on the market place. If I would
decide upon any of these, I would look at what are my requirements, modular
upgrade facilities, or a moveable unit.

Reg,
Kent
PS: I would take a IIcx, because then I could later buy a MIDI synth DSP card.

--
Kent Sandvik - Apple Australia               *NET: ksand@appleoz.oz.AU
                                             APPLELINK:  AUSTAUX

grae@murdu.oz (Graeme Gerrard) (03/20/89)

In article <510@appleoz.oz.au> ksand@appleoz.oz.AU (Kent Sandvik - A/UX Support) writes:
>Reg,
>Kent
>PS: I would take a IIcx, because then I could later buy a MIDI synth DSP card.

Peter Gotcher (Pres. of Digidesign) tells me that his company already has
Sound Accelerator boards for the SE/30. (Also SE, II, IIx). I have one in
my MAC II here at the Faculty. They have a M56001 DSP chip on board
and can do stereo, 16bit, 44.1Khz sample conversion. Sounds great. List price,
I believe, is $US995.

Just for clarification.

Graeme Gerrard
Faculty of Music