[aus.mac] Macintosh connection to IBM S/36

waynee@charlie.OZ (Wayne Eason) (04/03/89)

Can anyone give me any information on connecting a Macintosh to an
IBM S/36 as a fully functioning terminal.
Does it need 3270 emulation software? Is there any hardware required?

Thanks in advance

/vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv\
\^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^/-------------------------------------------------------/

ksand@appleoz.oz.au ( A/UX Support) (04/06/89)

In article <7415@charlie.OZ> waynee@charlie.OZ (Wayne Eason) writes:
>Can anyone give me any information on connecting a Macintosh to an
>IBM S/36 as a fully functioning terminal.
>Does it need 3270 emulation software? Is there any hardware required?
>
>Thanks in advance

There's a nice freebie from Apple called "Connecting to IBM hosts" [BTW
Wayne, it's on it's way to Deakin Uni by post] Ask any Apple person
and they will send or give this book.

Now, a fast glimpse inside the book and S/36 tells that:

* The IBM System 3X terminals are all derived from the 5250 terminal type.
  Only the AS/400 understands 3270 terminal emulation. Eventually
  stuff like token ring support will make it possible to connect
  Macs to S/3x without black box principles.

* There are two manufacturers, KMW Systems Corporation and Wall Data,
  that makes Mac products for System 3X protocol conversion. Any
  terminal emulator that is VT100 compatible can be used with either
  company's product. Thus you run async and RS-232 towards these boxes.

* We use the KMW Systems at Apple/Sydney. It is a protocol converter, a device
  driver for the Series II or Series III Twinax protocol converters (HW blue
  box on the IBM side). There is also a S/3xLink program running on the Mac,
  but you don't need any HW.

* The Wall Data is a similar black box protocol converter that is connected to
  the S/3x.

* Both support file transfer.

* Now the bad news, none of these are distributed in Australia...

Hope this helps,
bye,
Kent
--