[aus.mac] C++

prf@cit5.cit.oz (Paul Freeman) (06/16/89)

I am interested in learning a new language, preferably C.  I have heard that
C++ is pretty good but I know nothing about it.  Could someone give me some
details on C++,  ie. is it object oriented C, what it is like to use as a
language?
I am particularly interested to know if it is available for the Macintosh.
If so, is it available in Australia?

Thanks in advance
Paul Freeman
Chisholm Institute of Technology
P.O. Box 197
Caulfield East 3145
Email: prf@cit5.cit.oz

ksand@appleoz.oz.au (Kent Sandvik) (06/19/89)

In article <3108@cit5.cit.oz> prf@cit5.cit.oz (Paul Freeman) writes:

>I am interested in learning a new language, preferably C.  I have heard that
>C++ is pretty good but I know nothing about it.  Could someone give me some
>details on C++,  ie. is it object oriented C, what it is like to use as a
>language?
>I am particularly interested to know if it is available for the Macintosh.
>If so, is it available in Australia?

For the moment the C++ products for Mac is available only for the A/UX
platform. I.e. either the Cfront from AT&T that you need to port yourself,
or C++ from Oasys that is ported for A/UX.

I suggest that people wait a couple of months, AT&T will release RSN (in
a week or so) C++ level 2.0 with goodies such as multiple inheritance
and even stronger type checking.

It is no secret that Apple is working on a C++ for the MPW environment,
and this will be based on 2.0 C++. We can't really speak about unreleased
products, but if you are more interested in the future of C++ within Apple,
me and Andrew Shebanow from Apple DTS Cupertino will speak about the
product and C++ in general at the Developer Conference in Adelaide
next month.

Last personal words, I myself am a C++ addict, I want to have a computer
job in the 90:ies!

Reg,
Kent
--
Kent Sandvik - Apple Australia | NET: ksand@appleoz.oz.AU
TODAY:Do it! Hack! DISCL: foo? |{uunet,mcvax,enea}!munnari!appleoz.oz!ksand