[aus.mac] summary/comparision of SE/30 and IIcx, IIx and IIcx, SE/30 and IIx

jgt@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu (John Tsang) (11/11/89)

Expires:
s, expansion, performance, reliability, prices, Mac Portrait Monitor, Macintosh

In article <1218@corpane.UUCP> sparks@corpane.UUCP (John Sparks) writes:
>I may be getting to work with a Mac IIcx soon. I presently do not know
>
>Could someone give me a run down on the features of the Mac IIcx?
>peripherals, etc.

1.      I have the same _urgent_ problem too in trying to determine which one to
upgrade from my SE currently being used.  While money is not extremely
important -- not a critical factor to prevent getting good performance
and speed -- I don't want to spend more than $5000 for a system with
        an (at least) full-page (at least) B/W -- preferably monochrome monitor
        40 MB (external) hard disk:  preferably the Quantum faster drive,
such as, MicroTech Nova and Jasmine;
        high density disk drive -- if possible 2 internal;
        101 keyboard or the Mac extended keyboard;
        more than 1 MB of RAM to use Multifinder (or Switcher) decently;
and,
        the Imagewriter LQ, or, a third party Mac/Imagewriter comparable
(with the necessary software and cable to link them) -- if budget allows,
but not essential, as I still have the IW.

Could this be possible?
        Any suggestion, if not?
        Any suggestion on which mail order company, brand of third party
hardware, ..... to buy -- and to avoid?

2.      Thus, I'm deciding on which newer model of Mac to buy:
II, SE/30, IIx, IIcx or even the IIci -- and the portable is not excluded
for consideration.

Therefore, I need comparision, evaluation and summary of:
        IIx and IIcx -- only smaller?
        SE/30 and IIcx -- if the IIcx is only smaller than the IIx;
        SE/30 and IIx -- if the IIx is better and more powerful than the IIcx.

        Finally isn't it not necessary to get the IIci yet, while it's
so expensive and new -- unless for power user, as a server, .....?

p.s.    Do you know which issue of MacWorld or MacUser (or other magazines)
has compared these
models:  the SE, SE/30, II, IIx, IIcx, and the IIci?

3.      SE/30 should be the highest possible choice financially, because
the school price is only about                                  $2800
+       Mac Portrait Monitor                                    $831
+       Mac II Porttrait Video Card (same for SE/30 ?!)         $450
+       hard disk                                               $600
+       Mac 101 keyboard                                        $140

=                                                               $4821

        But, can the SE connect to an external 2-page or full-page
monitor, which needs a card in the only slot of the SE, while it
can still be put 4 MB of RAM?

4.      Subsequently, is the Mac Portrait Monitor less expensive
than the third party -- for the above price -- with the necessary
expansion card and RAM to drive the screen update faster?

Any (type of) advice is appreciated.  Thanks!
*****
However, I prefer E-mail, and will post a summary later, if any other
people want know the same topic.