[aus.mac] SUMII Optimize error

ren@surf.sics.bu.oz (Renato Iannella) (12/19/89)

When I try to Optimize my Hard Disk with SUMII's Tune Up Program, it get's half way thru the process and then gives an "Unexpected Error, cancelled. D 1" message.  Anyone had the same problem or know why?

SetUp: SE/30, 5MB RAM, 80MB HD, System 6.0.3 (Booted off a floppy)

Many ThanXs,

Renato Iannella
---
Info & Comp Sciences, Bond University, Australia, 4229
Voice: +61 75 953381  ARPA,Bit: ren%kowande.bu.oz.au@uunet.uu.net
Fax:   +61 75 953320  Internet: ren@kowande.bu.oz.au

LGEORGE@insted.unimelb.edu.au (Lord Vader) (12/20/89)

In article <716@surf.sics.bu.oz>, ren@surf.sics.bu.oz (Renato Iannella) writes:
> When I try to Optimize my Hard Disk with SUMII's Tune Up Program, it get's half way thru the process and then gives an "Unexpected Error, cancelled. D 1" message.  Anyone had the same problem or know why?
>
> SetUp: SE/30, 5MB RAM, 80MB HD, System 6.0.3 (Booted off a floppy)
>

> Many ThanXs,
>
> Renato Iannella
> ---
> Info & Comp Sciences, Bond University, Australia, 4229
> Voice: +61 75 953381  ARPA,Bit: ren%kowande.bu.oz.au@uunet.uu.net
> Fax:   +61 75 953320  Internet: ren@kowande.bu.oz.au
Yeah, I got that a few times too.  Its actually 'trying' to tell you that it
has found a block that is allocated but not to any file, ie the block says it
belongs but it belongs to no-one.  If you look up the error in the manual it
simply says call us and let us know, thanks a lot guys [gals].  What you need
to do is either of two things.
	Launch SUM Tools, select Edit Volume under Volume, select the volume
in question, choose the "Vol Map" option under the pop-up on the top
right of the window and look at the the very next allocated block, ie the first
black block after the first white block.  Point the cross of the magnifying
glass on the first black block and hold the mouse button down... a window will
appear saying the file that the block is associated with, whether it be a Data
fork block or Resource fork block, the disk sector number, and the allocation
block number.  With the mouse still down, you will notice a pop-up menu just
to the bottom right of your mouse, saying either "allocate block/read disk
block" if the block is un-allocated, ie white; or "de-allocate block/read disk
block" if the block is allocated.  What you will find is that the block you are
pointing to is allocated, but not to a file.  You will need to de-allocate the
disk block.  My experience with this sort of problem is that there are usually
more than one allocated block, and SUM gets you to confirm [twice] that you
wish to de-allocate the block.
	Your second choice is launch Disk Express.  It will analyze the volume
and give you information regarding how many blocks are allocated to no files.
If the number of these blocks is huge, ie >50, then let Disk Express unfragment
the volume.  Even a quick unfragment should do it [Disk Express 1.5].  If the
number of these blocks is small, say 10, it might be worth doing it with SUM
Tools.
	I neither work for, or own either of the two companies that produce the
above mentioned software, I am just a happy customer.  My owners are mentioned
below.  Please don't let them know that I have spoken, they don't know I can
talk.

--
George Stamatopoulos					#### ###
La Trobe University -					#### ###