From: s882027@yallara.cs.rmit.OZ.AU (Andrew Mark Cassin)
To: rcoahk@koel.co.rmit.OZ.AU
Subject: MacBinary File Formats

 Yep, there are two file formats - I sent a couple of unix text files to you
 which explain the differences. The problem is mpost likely to be that MacIP
 3.0.3 only supports MacBinary 1 whereas the stuff youre trying to download
 is in MacBinary II format. This results in the archive being corrupted cos
 some rubbish is being placed in the archive.

 You could write a quick conversion utility to convert the files to MacBinary
 1 and then download to your mac.

Hope this helps,

From: kevin@umbc3.umbc.edu (Kevin Hunter Services)

To: akkh@mullian.ee.mu.oz.au, rcoahk@koel.co.rmit.oz.au
Subject: Macbinary

Yes there are two Macbinary formats: Macbinary and Macbinary II. The latter
has been in use for some time and is now by far more common. Binary files on
the net are handled in the binary format in which they were uploaded. Newer
versions of your favorite software may support Macbinary II, but those
(older) applications that don't will be of no help to you.

kevin
Berrett Hill BBS       (301)795-1121     kevin or sysop