[aus.mac] INIT to delete Word4 temporary files

drew@pollux.anu.oz.au (Drew Corrigan) (12/04/90)

Some time ago, I recall seeing an INIT or similar utility posted to the
net which has the effect of deleting all those annoying temporary files
which Word 4 has the habit of leaving in the System folder.

I have checked various archives and didn't see anything obvious that
might do the trick.

Any pointers to such a creature would be greatly appreciated.

Drew Corrigan.
--
Drew Corrigan  (drew@anucsd.anu.oz.au)
Department of Computer Science, Australian National University

jenner@post.ntu.edu.au (Bob Jenner) (12/06/90)

In article <drew.660291981@pollux> drew@pollux.anu.oz.au (Drew Corrigan)
writes:
> Some time ago, I recall seeing an INIT or similar utility posted to the
> net which has the effect of deleting all those annoying temporary files
> which Word 4 has the habit of leaving in the System folder.
Try wsmr-simtel20.army.mil in the pd3:<macintosh.appl> directory. There
are two of them, AutoDelete and Temp Deleter.
regards

Bob Jenner, Northern Territory University
Computing Dep't.
PO Box 40146, Casuarina NT Australia 0810
Tel 089-466397

drew@pollux.anu.oz.au (Drew Corrigan) (12/07/90)

jenner@post.ntu.edu.au (Bob Jenner) writes:

>Try wsmr-simtel20.army.mil in the pd3:<macintosh.appl> directory. There
>are two of them, AutoDelete and Temp Deleter.

Thanks for the info. Actually, I was deluged with responses. Most mentioned
"Temperament 2" by John Rotenstein ... distributed under Happiware. I ftp'd
a copy from a nearby archive. Temperament 2 is a CDEV/INIT which deletes
a whole range of files on reboot. Gives a little "explosion" sound when it
works (this can be turned off). Fully configurable, etc. A very nice piece
of work.

Coincidentally, I discovered a "cause" of the temporary files. It seems
that if you are running Word under MultiFinder and do a Restart or Shutdown
without first quitting Word, it leaves its temporary file in the System
Folder. Our secretaries routinely do this and one had >200 temporary files!
(So much for the files being "temporary" :-))

Anyway, thanks again to one and all.

Drew Corrigan.
--

straka@cbnewsc.att.com (richard.j.straka) (12/07/90)

In article <drew.660521921@pollux>, drew@pollux.anu.oz.au (Drew Corrigan) writes:
> jenner@post.ntu.edu.au (Bob Jenner) writes:
> Coincidentally, I discovered a "cause" of the temporary files. It seems
> that if you are running Word under MultiFinder and do a Restart or Shutdown
> without first quitting Word, it leaves its temporary file in the System
> Folder. Our secretaries routinely do this and one had >200 temporary files!
> (So much for the files being "temporary" :-))

Provided you don't normally shut off the machine in such a manner, this is an
incredibly convenient mechanism to see how often your machine crashes while
MS Word is launched (1/2 :-)).

On the other hand, this might be an opportunity for someone to write an INIT
to write a log keeping track of open applications (/environment) so that when
intermittent crashes happen, you could keep statistics to ferret out the
problem.  The crash state could be determined at boot time by looking at the
"dirty bit" or something similar?

Or have I missed something along the way?
--
Richard Straka                    AT&T Bell Laboratories, IH-6K311
UUCP:     att!ihlpf!straka        MSDOS: All the wonderfully arcane