[aus.mac] LaserWriter on Ethertalk??

xtnewcastle@levels.sait.edu.au (David Morrison) (12/19/90)

I have a problem.  I am about to set up a lab of Macs (50 LCs probably) all
with Ethernet cards.  I want a laser printer to be shared by all these Macs.

As far as I am aware, there is no LaserWriter with an Ethernet interface
available from Apple, and I have not seen anything from anyone else either.

How can I make it work?

(I presume I cannot simultaneously use LocalTalk and Ethertalk.  This would be
too easy :-)
--
David Morrison, Manager, Networks and Comms, Uni of Newcastle, Australia
sysnet@cc.newcastle.edu.au or (VAX PSI) psi%0505249626002::sysnet

bmug@garnet.berkeley.edu (BMUG) (12/20/90)

In article <15773.276e8b84@levels.sait.edu.au> xtnewcastle@levels.sait.edu.au (David Morrison) writes:
>I have a problem.  I am about to set up a lab of Macs (50 LCs probably) all
>with Ethernet cards.  I want a laser printer to be shared by all these Macs.

For a single printer, the best solution might be Dayna's EtherPrint
box, which will interface a printer to an EtherTalk network.  It
lists for about $500.  Alternatively, one could use software like
Liaison from Farallon (list $300) on a machine which is powered up
all the time.  It will steal some CPU cycles from that machine, but
it may still be used as a workstation, depending on the software
one wants to run on it.

John Heckendorn
                                                             /\
BMUG                      ARPA: bmug@garnet.berkeley.EDU    A__A
1442A Walnut St., #62     BITNET: bmug@ucbgarne             |()|
Berkeley, CA  94709       Phone: (415) 549-2684             |  |

woods@convex.com (Darrin Woods) (12/20/90)

>I have a problem.  I am about to set up a lab of Macs (50 LCs probably) all
>with Ethernet cards.  I want a laser printer to be shared by all these Macs.
>
>How can I make it work?

Etherprint from Dayna.  Works great in all my installs.

--
Blacksheep					woods@convex.com
Senior Systems Engineer

'I do not work for Convex, I am a guest on their systems - therefore