[aus.mac] NRC owns MultiGate trademark

mike@wcc.oz.au (Michael Lawrence) (01/09/91)

In article <6388@munnari.oz.au> raob@mullian.ee.mu.OZ.AU (richard oxbrow)
writes:

> >in article <20545@drilex.UUCP> dricejb@drilex.UUCP (Craig Jackson drilex1)
> >writes:
> >
> >Interesting announcement.  This is how I expected one part of the drama
> >to play out--NRC has the trademark to "Multigate", legally, in the U.S.
> >
> >The most interesting note is that they had to buy it, and I believe that
> >their product was announced before July 5, 1990, which is the date that
> >NRC acquired ownership.  I hope the guy got good money....
> >

> >Now it remains to be seen what Webster Computer does in response.  I
> >suspect that they have a valid trademark in Australia, and probably
> >the U.K., too.  To my knowledge, the Webster Multigate has never been
> >offered for sale in the U.S., probably because of this trademark mixup.
> >Yet, I don't think it is viable for a technology company the size of
> >either NRC or Webster to have different product names in different
> >countries.
> >

> Problem solved .. Webster's (at least in Australia) have renamed their
> product from "Webster Multigate" to "Webster MultiPort Gateway",  also
> they are planning to add the DECnet protocol to their box. (or so their
> newsletter claims).

Richard is correct. We have decided to rename our AppleTalk Router
and IP Gateway product as the "Webster MultiPort Gateway" - but not just
in Australia; the name change is effective worldwide. Also, we are
planning to add DECnet protocol support to the MultiPort Gateway.

We will begin shipping the Webster MultiPort Gateway (which incidentally
supports AppleTalk phase 2) later this month (January).

Also, Webster Computer actually released the Webster MultiGate in the
US prior to the trademark mixup - direct any US sales enquiries to our
US Office (details below).

Michael Lawrence (mike@wcc.oz.au)
Webster Computer Corporation
1270 Ferntree Gully Rd
Scoresby  3179  Victoria Australia

Webster Computer Corporation
2109 O'Toole Ave  Suite J
San Jose  California  CA 95131-1303
Phone: (408) 954 8054  Fax: (408) 954 1832
Email: wcc@cup.portal.com