[net.music] Cover version of "I got you babe"

seb@mtgzz.UUCP (s.e.badian) (09/11/85)

	Chryssie Hynde of the Pretenders and UB40 have released
a new version of the Sonny and Cher classic(?) "I got you babe."
I happen to really like the new version. It has a distinct
reggae beat and it certainly benefits from not having Sonny's whiny
voice singing the male lead.
	Some friends of mine have also heard the new version and
really find it obnoxious. Anyone else find that this cover version
breathes some new life into an old, pop tune?

Sharon Badian
ihnp4!mtgzz!seb

...just running up that hill...

andrew@grkermi.UUCP (Andrew W. Rogers) (09/11/85)

In article <1145@mtgzz.UUCP> seb@mtgzz.UUCP (s.e.badian) writes:
>	Chrissie Hynde of the Pretenders and UB40 have released
>a new version of the Sonny and Cher classic(?) "I got you babe."
>I happen to really like the new version. It has a distinct
>reggae beat and it certainly benefits from not having Sonny's whiny
>voice singing the male lead.

Or Cher's singing the female lead!

>	Some friends of mine have also heard the new version and
>really find it obnoxious. Anyone else find that this cover version
>breathes some new life into an old, pop tune?

Yes (although I still prefer the Dictators' version).  I've never cared
that much for the original, although I admit it was certainly clever of
Sonny to blend the folk-rock style with the Spector 'wall of sound' for
the instrumental track.

Sonny, of course, had been one of Spector's assistants prior to his success
with S&C - and he learned his lessons well.  ("Just You", recorded in '64
but not a hit until late '65, shows the Spector influence even more.)  Prior
to working with Spector, BTW, Sonny had been a producer/A&R man with Specialty
(he co-wrote the B-side of Larry Williams' "Bony Moronie"), released several
singles under the pseudonyms Don Christy and Ronny Sommers, and co-wrote
Jackie DeShannon's/The Searchers'/The Ramones' :-) "Needles and Pins".  (An
account of his pre-S&C career appeared in the now-defunct Time Barrier
Express.  Write for copies.)

I'm sure you all know what Cher's been up to recently.  Last thing I knew,
Sonny had opened a restaurant.

>...just running up that hill...

Hey, I actually heard that one last night!  Not bad, but I wouldn't trade
the Nightcrawlers or Bob Kuban & the In-Men for it...

AWR

rlr@pyuxd.UUCP (Rich Rosen) (09/12/85)

> 	Chryssie Hynde of the Pretenders and UB40 have released
> a new version of the Sonny and Cher classic(?) "I got you babe."
> I happen to really like the new version. It has a distinct
> reggae beat and it certainly benefits from not having Sonny's whiny
> voice singing the male lead.
> 	Some friends of mine have also heard the new version and
> really find it obnoxious. Anyone else find that this cover version
> breathes some new life into an old, pop tune?  [Sharon Badian]

Hear, hear!  It's one of the few covers I prefer to the original.  "Breathes
new life into an old tune" describes it exactly.  Who would have thought
this was a great candidate for covering?  It is fresh and original, unlike
certain covers by a Ms. Patty Andrewski (sp) aka Benatar...

(If you need yet another example of how pathetic Pat Benatar is as an
interpretive artist, compare her "cover" (i.e., exact copy) of "Helter
Skelter" with the one done by Siouxsie & the Banshees...  But I digress.)
--
Anything's possible, but only a few things actually happen.
					Rich Rosen    pyuxd!rlr

michaelf@ISM780.UUCP (09/12/85)

         Sonny's restaurant in West Hollywood is called Bono's
	 for some strange reason.  The lousy food is only
         outdone by the lousy service.