	From: piety@hplabs.UUCP (Bob Piety)
	Newsgroups: net.dcom
	Subject: 56Kbit telephone lines?
	Date: Thu, 2-Feb-84 14:43:40 EST

	It seems that I've heard something about the telephone company (ies)
	offereing a 56K bit digital service.  Has anyone heard anything
	about it? Is it true? Available? When? Cost? Restrictions?

	Thanks in advance for your replies.

	Bob

Yup, it's true.  You're referring to CSDC (Circuit-Switched Digital Capa-
bility); it's 56Kb *dial-up* synchronous (and can also run at 9.6Kb, I think).
It will be available only at central offices that install some extra hardware
and new software for their ESS.  At the customer end, there's some box that
takes the place of a modem.  You can use the phone for voice or data calls;
the data calls must be preceeded by a special prefix.

As for availability -- to the best of my knowledge, the service has not
yet been tarriffed.  There are a few experimental installations in progress,
in (I think) Georgia, Florida, and N.J.

The real gotcha is that the service is syncronous.  There are protocol
converters available (for a few hundred dollars), but they don't go that
fast.  On the other hand, there hasn't been a market until now.  I'm following
this closely, because I'd like to have such a line to my house....

		--Steve Bellovin
		AT&T Bell Laboratories

P.S. I make no warranties as to the accuracy or reliability of the above
information.  It's my perception of reality, and has nothing to do with
any official policies of my employer.

tim@minn-ua.UUCP (Tim Giebelhaus) (02/15/84)

  I can't stand it anymore.  I thought some one more knowlegable than me
would reply.  Anyway, 56 Kb can run several terminals at 9600 baud or
better.  The U of M's computer is not on campus, it is a few miles away.
What some places in the U of M are doing is running a 56Kb line from
the computer to the terminals.  A mux makes it so several terminals can
be run on the same line.  The mux also takes care of the probelm of
the sync.  I have heard that the lines come in both varieties, though.
  It is about $1000 for installation of the line, and about $300 a month
to rent the line.  The Mux equipment is around $5000.  It is a good deal
considering all the modems and single lines you can do away with.  A
normal business phone is about $50 a month and how much to install.  The
best you can do on it is 1200 baud (normally).  You can run 6 terminals
at 9600 baud for about the same price.  I have heard that you can get
up to 32 9600 baud terminals on one 56Kb line.
  If you're like me, you did some quick math and said 32 terinals at
9600 baud?  It works like this: not all the terminals are doing I/O
at the same time.  In fact, most the time, the line is just sitting idle
waiting for you to type something.  Even when you do type, you are not
typing at 960 charicters per second.  If everyone was getting graphics
output at the same time, it would probably be slower.  It would probably
be a good idea to do some statistical analisis of your use to find out
how many terimals you actually can use.