[net.news.group] net.music.dead

rlr (02/11/83)

Net.wobegon is a perfect example of a 'piddly little frivolous' newsgroup.
Minimal traffic, limited topic.  The problem was that the PHC (Prairie
Home Companion?) or whatever the radio show is called did not seem to
fall exclusively into a broad category (like music, tv, etc.).  Perhaps
a net.humor newsgroup should have been created to accommodate net.wobegon,
net.tv.sctv, etc. (net.humor as distinct from net.jokes, which contains
netnews readers' [attempts at] jokes).

[I think] The work of the Grateful Dead can be considered music, and should
probably be discussed in net.music.  The motive to 'spare' us non-Deadheads the
agony of sifting through the volumes of Dead-oriented stuff doesn't hold
water, because, as I've already said, to date, that 'volume' consists of
a few ticket requests (reasonable for net.wanted or net.music) and a request
for info on how to find a record by Jerry Garcia (probably belongs in
net.records--which relates to buying/selling/caring for the actual physical
records that music, comedy, etc. may be contained on).  Be a little more
sociable, people.  Join in on discussions about new wave, heavy metal,
classical music, as well as dead music, in a newsgroup devoted to music.

I realize that a group can be created at anyone's whim through the magic of
netnews software, so no one can stop the creation of net.music.gdead. So, if it
is created, I hereby propose a contest.  (which can probably be applied to
all new so-called 'frivolous' newsgroups).  In the one month following the
original posting of the first article, how many articles will be posted that
1) are not announcements of the new group, 2) are not discussions about the
nature of the group itself (its charter?), and 3) could not have been posted to
some other newsgroup with the same effect (topic discussed, audience reached)?
The contestant with the number closest to the actual number of useful articles
posted to the newsgroup /and/ the earliest postmark wins...  uhh, a Grateful
Dead album. (I'm tempted to say that the second place winner gets /two/ Dead
albums, but I won't say that... whoops, I just did!----just kidding).  Since
I currently don't own any Dead albums, and I probably should own /one/, I'll
kick off the contest with my entry---ZERO.  The only problems:  who runs the
contest, and who provides the album?  (I'm just proposing, not volunteering.)
I think since Greg Woods had the original idea for the group, and since he
surely has some old Dead albums that have been worn through to the other side,
he is a candidate for both posts (JUST KIDDING!!!).

I'll leave it to someone more qualified than me to explain why a proliferation
of sundry newsgroups all over the place is bad for transmission of news over
the net.			Rich

pjm (02/15/83)

I'd just like to reply to Adam L. Buchsbaum's comment that if we
had net.music.dead we should also have net.music.beatles, net.music.who,
etc.:  deadheads have more to talk about.  Deadheads do a lot of
taping and exchanging of tapes, plus we discuss the Dead's concert
dates (since they're almost constantly touring).  Although I'm
not one for the proliferation of newsgroups, I'd like to cast my
vote for net.music.dead.

Phil Mercurio
...ucbvax!sdcsvax!mercurio
...philabs!sdcsvax!mercurio

(PS.  I'm also interested in exchanging tapes.)

jackson@curium.DEC (Seth Jackson) (03/12/85)

>[btw, I have noticed quite a bit more synth discussion in net.music.synth then
> was formerly in net.music...  Perhaps the issue of net.music.dead should be
> raised again...]

Hear, hear! I support the idea of net.music.dead (or net.music.gdead) as do
the other deadheads on the net with whom I have spoken. When I read through
net.music, I am generally looking for Dead-related postings, and would
prefer not to have to search through mounds of material that is not of
interest to me (particularly difficult on a VMS system where readnews is
not available). Also, I find that deadheads, myself included, greatly
enjoy exchanging all kinds of Dead-related information, trivia, and
anecdotes, which would undoubtedly not be understood nor welcomed
by the general readership of net.music, and therefore is
generally not posted. I strongly believe that net.music.gdead would
provide a forum for such postings, and increase the number of Dead-related
discussion, much to the enjoyment of all Deadheads on the net (and probably
to the relief of some non-Deadheads, poor souls!).

Seth Jackson

"We used to play for silver, now we play for life"

myers@uwmacc.UUCP (Jeff Myers) (03/12/85)

> Hear, hear! I support the idea of net.music.dead (or net.music.gdead) as do
> the other deadheads on the net with whom I have spoken. When I read through
> net.music, I am generally looking for Dead-related postings, and would
> prefer not to have to search through mounds of material that is not of
> interest to me...
>
> Seth Jackson
>
> "We used to play for silver, now we play for life"

I forty-second the motion.  Jeff Myers

"Some folks trust to reason, others trust in might"

jf4@bonnie.UUCP (John Fourney) (03/13/85)

1 NO vote.

eg1282@dartvax.UUCP (eg128 account 2) (03/13/85)

> >[btw, I have noticed quite a bit more synth discussion in net.music.synth then
> > was formerly in net.music...  Perhaps the issue of net.music.dead should be
> > raised again...]
>
> Hear, hear! I support the idea of net.music.dead (or net.music.gdead) as do
> the other deadheads on the net with whom I have spoken. When I read through
> net.music, I am generally looking for Dead-related postings, and would
> prefer not to have to search through mounds of material that is not of
> interest to me (particularly difficult on a VMS system where readnews is
> not available). Also, I find that deadheads, myself included, greatly
> enjoy exchanging all kinds of Dead-related information, trivia, and
> anecdotes, which would undoubtedly not be understood nor welcomed
> by the general readership of net.music, and therefore is
> generally not posted. I strongly believe that net.music.gdead would
> provide a forum for such postings, and increase the number of Dead-related
> discussion, much to the enjoyment of all Deadheads on the net (and probably
> to the relief of some non-Deadheads, poor souls!).
>

> Seth Jackson
>
> "We used to play for silver, now we play for life"

I'll second that emotion...

sunny@sun.uucp (Ms. Sunny Kirsten) (03/14/85)

> > Hear, hear! I support the idea of net.music.dead (or net.music.gdead) as do
> > the other deadheads on the net with whom I have spoken. When I read through
> > net.music, I am generally looking for Dead-related postings, and would
> > prefer not to have to search through mounds of material that is not of
> > interest to me...

I also am in favor of the re-creation of net.music.gdead
--
{ucbvax,decvax,ihnp4}!sun!sunny (Ms. Sunny Kirsten)

baskina@stolaf.UUCP (Andre G. Baskin) (03/14/85)

> > Hear, hear! I support the idea of net.music.dead (or net.music.gdead) as do
> > the other deadheads on the net with whom I have spoken. When I read through
> > net.music, I am generally looking for Dead-related postings, and would
> > prefer not to have to search through mounds of material that is not of
> > interest to me...
> >
> > Seth Jackson
> >
> > "We used to play for silver, now we play for life"
>
> I forty-second the motion.  Jeff Myers
>
> "Some folks trust to reason, others trust in might"

Another vote for net.music.dead!!

	"Let there be songs to fill the air."

cower@columbia.UUCP (Rich Cower) (03/14/85)

Didn't there used to be net.music.dead? I think I used to read it
a few years ago while at SRI. I'd sure like to see it (again).

..Rich Cower

rlr@pyuxd.UUCP (Professor Wagstaff) (03/14/85)

I hereby propose the following additional subgroups:
	net.music.beatles
	net.music.stones
	net.music.who
	net.music.beachboys
	net.music.yes
	net.music.genesis
	net.music.siouxsie&thebanshees
	net.music.residents
	net.music.huskerdu
	net.music.pristinearea

To be followed soon thereafter by:
	net.music.beatles.XXXX  where XXXX is a beatle
			[jokes about net.music.beatles.dead will be shredded]
	net.music.genesis.withgabriel
	net.music.yes.no
	net.music.dead.drugs

Is there anyone else who thinks THEIR favorite group is so different from
the rest of the world of music that it deserves its own subgroup because
it would just be IMpossible to discuss things in net.music?

In case you hadn't guessed, this is a NO vote.
--
"Right now it's only a notion, but I'm hoping to turn it into an idea, and if
 I get enough money I can make it into a concept."       Rich Rosen pyuxd!rlr

mag@gitpyr.UUCP (Mark A. Gravitt) (03/17/85)

In article <2832@dartvax.UUCP> eg1282@dartvax.UUCP (eg128 account 2) writes:
>> Hear, hear! I support the idea of net.music.dead (or net.music.gdead) as do
>> the other deadheads on the net with whom I have spoken.

I'd like to register a "NO" vote on the subject of net.music.dead. This would
appear to be better suited to a mailing list. (Otherwise, I suspect that the
net will drown under a flock of net.music spinoffs.  (net.music.duran is one
of the more hideous possibilities... :-) ))
--
Mark A. Gravitt                                    | "You, therefore, love one
User Assistant                                     | another and in patient

..!{akgua, allegra, amd, hplabs, ihnp4, masscomp, ut-ngp}gatech!gitpyr!mag
..!{rlgvax, sb1, uf-cgrl, unmvax, ut-sally}!gatech!gitpyr!mag

rick@uwmacc.UUCP (the absurdist) (03/18/85)

[ "We can share what we got of yours, 'cause we done shared all of mine... " ]

I support net.music.dead for 4 reasons:

	(1)  Net.music needs subgroups to keep it readable
	(2)  The Deadheads post in reasonably high volume AND have
		 done so for a long time (unlike, say, the 3 Stooges fans
		 or the Prisoner fans on net.tv)
	(3)  This material is not of general interest
	(4)  The subgroup is well defined enough that people can reasonably
		 be expected to decide whether an article goes in the subgroup
		 or the parent group.

Note that reason #2 explains why this is not (yet) going to make
net.music a mass of net.music.beatles, net.music.duranduran, etc.
The Deadheads are ALREADY active.

--
"Hey, check it OUT! I'm leaping tall buildings with a single BOUND!
 Stay right where you ARE!  I've gotta locate a SPEEDING BULLET!"

Rick Keir -- MicroComputer Information Center, MACC
1210 West Dayton St/U Wisconsin Madison/Mad WI 53706
{allegra, ihnp4, seismo}!uwvax!uwmacc!rick

rcd@opus.UUCP (Dick Dunn) (03/18/85)

> I hereby propose the following additional subgroups:
> 	net.music.beatles
> 	net.music.stones
> 	net.music.who

Well, we had to go and pull Rich Rosen's string, didn't we?  One of Rich's
roles in net.music seems to be to categorically oppose the creation of
subgroups.  Fine, flame at that if you will, but he's got a good point in
general, and the postings on creation of a dead subgroup in particular
give him ample ammo, since practically none of them give any indication of
a decent reason for creating the group:

> 	net.music.yes.no
> 	net.music.dead.drugs
>
> Is there anyone else who thinks THEIR favorite group is so different from
> the rest of the world of music that it deserves its own subgroup because
> it would just be IMpossible to discuss things in net.music?

The reasons that net.music.*dead MIGHT make sense include substantial
traffic in net.music (which MIGHT be getting to annoy net.music readers)
and a moderate content of only remotely musically related material--such as
Garcia's bust or his new red t-shirt(s).

> In case you hadn't guessed, this is a NO vote.

No, I hadn't guessed.  Actually, that was not a "vote" but a "flame".
"Votes" are tallied by someone who has volunteered to take them BY EMAIL
and report the results.  (Small matter of netiquette.)  BTW, I'm counting
votes, but only the ones I get by mail.  [My reason is not to exclude
anyone's opinion; I just can't go back in time and comb votes out of
everything in net.music.]

Maybe it's fine as it is.  (D'Heads are always out to make converts.:-)
Maybe a mailing list could work for some of the less interesting stuff,
tho that can be a headache to maintain.  Maybe a subgroup should exist.
But in any case, let's collect opinions and see how they stack up.  As I
said, I will collect the votes and post the result.
--
Dick Dunn	{hao,ucbvax,allegra}!nbires!rcd		(303)444-5710 x3086
   ...If you plant ice, you're gonna harvest wind.

stein@druny.UUCP (SteinDW) (03/19/85)

1 YES vote.

Don Stein
druny!stein

"Full of hope, full of grace is the human race,
But afraid that we may lay our home to waste."

rlr@pyuxd.UUCP (Professor Wagstaff) (03/19/85)

>>Is there anyone else who thinks THEIR favorite group is so different from
>>the rest of the world of music that it deserves its own subgroup because
>>it would just be IMpossible to discuss things in net.music?

> The reasons that net.music.*dead MIGHT make sense include substantial
> traffic in net.music (which MIGHT be getting to annoy net.music readers)

WARNING from Joe Blow, average netnews reader:  if there is any substantial
traffic about a group/artist I care little or know nothing about, I will become
annoyed.  I'd guess we have a lot of annoyed readers then.  Again, is this
any different from substantial traffic about ANY group/artist?

> and a moderate content of only remotely musically related material--such as
> Garcia's bust or his new red t-shirt(s).

I'd guess that if topics only remotely related to music were being discussed,
perhaps a more limited forum (like a mailing list, as Mr. Dunn suggested)
might be in order.

(I didn't know I had a "role" in this newsgroup.  Will I win an Oscar? :-)
--
Anything's possible, but only a few things actually happen.
					Rich Rosen    pyuxd!rlr

steiny@scc.UUCP (Don Steiny) (03/19/85)

***

	When we subscribed to the net about two years ago there
was a newsgroup called "net.gdead."   There was never much
traffic.  I assume it went away because it was not used much.

--
scc!steiny
Don Steiny - Personetics @ (408) 425-0382    ihnp4!pesnta   -\

jcjeff@ihlpg.UUCP (jeffreys) (03/20/85)

> 	When we subscribed to the net about two years ago there
> was a newsgroup called "net.gdead."   There was never much
> traffic.  I assume it went away because it was not used much.
>
> Don Steiny - Personetics @ (408) 425-0382

I'm not surprised that there was not much "Traffic", as it was ment for
"Greatful Dead" :-)

I only hope that this boring dialouge will stop. I've now decided after an
initial NO vote to change to a YES vote. The sooner they get this news-group
going, the sooner I'll be able to stop reading about it. Afterall, I only view
about 20% of all the news-groups available, another one I won't read will not
make a big difference.

SOMEBODY, PLEASE GIVE THEM THE NEWSGROUP THEY WANT.

--
          [ You called all the way from America - Joan Armatrading ]
 [ You're never alone with a rubber duck - Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy ]

woods@hao.UUCP (Greg Woods) (03/20/85)

> 	When we subscribed to the net about two years ago there
> was a newsgroup called "net.gdead."   There was never much
> traffic.  I assume it went away because it was not used much.

  WRONG!!! net.gdead was not used much because some system administrators
decided unilaterally that it wasn't a valid group, and removed it from
their systems. As a result, an article posted to net.gdead only made
it to a small portion of the net, rendering the group useless. THAT'S
why there was no traffic.
  Personally, I think the fact that this discussion (whether the Deadheads
should have a separate group) comes up at least twice every year is
sufficient evidence that net.music.dead *should* be created, if only to
end this recurring discussion! It, and other Dead-related postings, accounted
for over 30% of the articles in net.music last week. If that isn't good
enough evidence that a subgroup is needed, I don't know what is. Also,
we (Deadheads) tend to post lots of stuff that isn't really related to
music, like the color of Jerry's T-shirts, tickets needed, etc. A separate
group is clearly warranted, and I think the fears of Professor Paranoid
about every band having a subgroup are unfounded. If a group gets 30%
of the articles, I would have no objection to them having their own
subgroup, but so far that hasn't happened.

--Greg
--
{ucbvax!hplabs | allegra!nbires | decvax!noao | harpo!seismo | ihnp4!noao}
       		        !hao!woods

CSNET: woods@NCAR  ARPA: woods%ncar@CSNET-RELAY

     "Please don't dominate the rap Jack, if you got nothing new to say..."

sullivan@harvard.ARPA (John Sullivan) (03/21/85)

Here is a yes vote for every group that wants to be created.  I find that
it is much easier to choose what groups/subgroups I want to read at a
particular time than to look through (often misleading) subject lines.

	John M. Sullivan
	sullivan@harvard

baskina@stolaf.UUCP (Andre G. Baskin) (03/30/85)

  This is yet another vote for net.music.dead. There is more than enough
interest and material generated by Deadheads to support such a group. Where
else could one write of the colour of Jerry's shirt, your best concert trip
(and I don't mean the one to the event), post play lists to one's heart's
content, or deal on ticket, story, and tape trading? Free net.music for the
sheep who follow the "Piper of New Wave and other Noise". Deadheads of
the net only want a place to call their own, not much to ask.

"Let there be songs to fill the air"

					iphn4!stolaf!baskina
						or
					iphn4!stolaf!ccnfld!baskina

lethin@yale.ARPA (Richard A. Lethin) (04/07/85)

ditto, vote for net.music.dead, to save net.music from complete
domination.