[comp.os.vms] Speeding up 750's

UOWRAK@UOFMCC.BITNET.UUCP (04/15/87)

Daniel Graham <GRAHAM@C.CS.CMU.EDU> writes as follows:

> I am trying to increase the speed of a VAX 11-750.
> Does anyone have any advice, opinions, or experience in this area?
> I am looking for an economical way to do this.

There is a board called the IVAC 750 available from
           Iverson, Inc.
           850 Auburn Court
           Fremont, CA 94539
           415/659-1660
which purports to speed up a VAX-11/750 "by an average of 25%";
they accomplish this by tweaking the system clock, apparently.

I am thinking about getting two of these boards for my 750's;
Daniel and others on the net might also be interested in them.
Is there anyone out there with experience/additional information
on these boards?

In Canada, the price is $17,000 (Canadian dollars).  This should
translate into around $10,000 in US dollars.  Check with Iverson.

Disclaimer:  I have absolutely no material interest in Iverson, nor
in this product.  I am only a potential buyer who has seen a spec
sheet on the product.

Roger Kingsley

E-mail:  UOWRAK@UOFMCC.BITNET
Tele:    204/786-9449
Smail:   Computer Services,
         The University of Winnipeg,
         515 Portage Avenue,
         Winnipeg, Manitoba,
         Canada  R3B 2E9

PS - this is a superficial response, assuming that "speeding up a 750"
means running a faster CPU.  There are other things you can do --
add memory (up to 14MB or even 15MB total, these days);  split your
load over several spindles of disk, etc.