[comp.os.vms] DEC acronyms

BMW6957@TAMCHEM.BITNET.UUCP (04/15/87)

Chris (and anyone else puzzled by the acronyms),

Nearly all of DEC's ethernet products begin with the letters "DE" for
Digital Ethernet.  The remaining three letters of each acronym describe
the product.  I don't know all of the acronyms, but here are a few
(including the DEMPR and DELNI).

        DEUNA   Unibus Network Adapter -- connects a machine to Ethernet
                via the Unibus.
        DELUA   LAN? Unibus Adapter -- IEEE 802.3 version of DEUNA.
        DEQNA   Qbus Network Adapter
        DECNA   C???? Network Adapter (used with the PRO series)
        DEBNT   BI Network T???? (used with BI machines)
        DEREP   REPeater -- repeats Ethernet signals from one coaxial
                segment onto another.
        DEBET   Bridge E???? T???? -- forwards Ethernet packets from one
                LAN to another forming an "Extended" LAN (uses a store-and-
                forward technique, whereas a DEREP is more of an amplifier
                than anything else).
        DEXJK   (I have no idea) Etherjack -- a connection box for mounting
                cable connectors.
        DEMPR   MultiPort Repeater -- repeats Ethernet signals from/to
                eight (hence "multiport") thinwire Ethernet segments.
                Usually used as an adapter from normal thick-wire Enet
                to thin-wire Enet, but can be used standalone in an
                all thin-wire environment.
        DELNI   Local Network Interconnect -- connects upto eight nodes
                to form a local Enet.  Also acts as a concentrator to
                allow eight nodes to share a single tap on Enet.
        DESTA   STation Adapter -- adapter used with thinwire Enet to
                connect nodes which are not thin-wire ready (some of DEC's
                newer products are designed for use with thin-wire Enet,
                the DESTA is for those that are not so designed).
        DECOM   (no idea) Broadband Ethernet Transceiver
        DEFTR   Frequency TRanslator -- Used in single cable broadband
                networks to translate the transmit frequency to the
                receive frequency.

There are several others, as well as a few that don't begin with "DE"
(like the DECservers, DSRVA and DSRVB).  For more info, get a copy of
DEC's "Networks and Communications Buyer's Guide" (the network catalog)
from your salesman.

Brad Wilson
BMW6957@TAMCHEM.BITNET

mat@amdahl.UUCP (Mike Taylor) (04/16/87)

In article <8704160345.AA19818@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU>, BMW6957@TAMCHEM.BITNET (Brad Wilson) writes:
> Chris (and anyone else puzzled by the acronyms),
>         DELUA   LAN? Unibus Adapter -- IEEE 802.3 version of DEUNA.
                  LSI Unibus Adapter (according to our DEC salesman)

--
Mike Taylor                        ...!{ihnp4,hplabs,amd,sun}!amdahl!mat

[ This may not reflect my opinion, let alone anyone else's.  ]

LEICHTER-JERRY@YALE.ARPA.UUCP (04/18/87)

Actually, my understanding was that the L in DELUA stood for LANCE (the (AMD?)
chip set used in the device).

I suspect, however, that there is no "right" answer, and that several diffe-
rent interpretations of the almost-acronym have been made right from the
beginning of the project.
							-- Jerry
-------