[comp.os.vms] Ethernet printers

LF@CRNLVAX5.BITNET.UUCP (04/18/87)

From: BITNET%"GAYMAN%ARTIC.DECNET@ARI-HQ1"
Date:         17 Apr 87 11:11:00 EDT
Sender:       INFO-VAX Discussion <INFO-VAX@UBVM>
Comments:     To: info-vax <INFO-VAX@KL.SRI.COM>
From:         "ARTIC::GAYMAN" <GAYMAN%ARTIC.DECNET@ARI-HQ1>
Subject:      Ethernet printers
To:           CRNLVAX5 Bulletin Board <INFOVAX@CRNLVAX5>

> From:    RTB          "Bob Baynes"             16-APR-1987 14:41
> Subj:    ETHERNET QUESTION
>
> In my experience Ethernet degrades at about 70% its bandwidth (i.e.
> 7 mbytes).  We are thinking of putting a C.Itoh printer on a
> Decserver 200.  My concern is that given the fact that we have three
> systems (1 VAX 8600, 2 DEC-20s), 150+ users, 4 LN03 printers, and 1
> Imagen 8/300 (soon to be connected), placing a C.Itoh printer on the
> terminal server will push us over the threshold of performance for
> the network.
>
> The assumption is that the C.Itoh printer will print very LARGE
> files that would have to be transferred between the DEC-20s and the
> VAX.
>
> Can anyone give me any ideas or experience on Ethernet performance
> with print servers ?
> -------

Our site has an 11/780, 11/785, 11/730, thirty-one servers, (DECSAs, DECserver
100s and DECserver 200s), and some 200+ users.  We have seven terminal print
queues connected to all of the servers mentioned and experience no performance
problems on the Ethernet.

Elizabeth Gayman (GAYMAN@ARI-HQ1.ARPA)
------

It's hard to believe someone is concerned over Ethernet load when the
presentation I saw showed 467 nodes on the same Ethernet at DEC and the average
load was 18% with peaks at 56%! -LF-

Larry Fresinski (LF@CrnlVAX5.Bitnet)